A few for 2-15-08

Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Texas Aggie went Crazy today. Plucked the blooms because of the rain. Looked much better on the plant. It was beautiful!

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

You have to get Firehouse from Matt. It's A great bloomer and 1 of my newest favorites

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's A Party Hound

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a Crazy Horse

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

One called Kattie Jones. I just love the throat on this green one. It took a very pulled back approach today. Wish I could have gotten the full open shoy. Very pretty bloom.

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Another PIC of Kattie Jones

This message was edited Feb 15, 2008 3:22 PM

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

A Picture could never do this massive Dancing Fire justice!!!

Thumbnail by Pizonne01
Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Beautiful! I really like that Dancing Fire, unique looking. Firehouse stunned me too.
Not sure if I like the colors on Katie.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9b)

Who is Matt?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Matt is Matt Martindale of the Hibiscus Place Nursery.
http://www.hibiscusplace.com/

Robert (Pizonne) owns Hypnotic Blooms
http://www.hypnoticblooms.net/

Both of these gentlemen are active members here as are Cindy and Charles from Hidden Valley Hibiscus
http://www.hiddenvalleyhibiscus.com

Another active contributor here is Barry Schlueter, a master hybridizer of the most extraordinary hibiscus. He does not sell his plants but his website is worth drooling over.
Many of the beautiful flowers pictured on this forum are Barry's babies. Matt and Robert carry many of Barry's plants.
http://www.barryschlueter.com

edited because I can't spell. LOL

This message was edited Feb 15, 2008 7:06 PM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Robert, I love Kattie Jones and Dancing Fire...absolutely gorgeous!

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

OMG...everyone of them is beautiful! I cannot choose a favorite from this lot, because each of them is equally magnificent!

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Cat is right, Robert! They are all stunning. I totally love your - well, I was gonna try to pick one, but I can't :-)

So glad I've ordered Matt's Firehouse ;-) cuz, you KNOW I need more hibiscus!!!

Great pics!

karen

Rockport, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks so much for explaining who's who. I'll eagerly browse the links provided!

HAHAHA Decklife, then you will begin a quest to own them all; and, like the rest of us, you will be a true hibiscus addict!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

It's true, once you start looking at the pictures, you'll start writing down the names and saying oooh I want that one. It's really hard to pick out which one you want first, I'm still trying to figure it out myself. But my list now has 38 on it and I keep adding more.

My problem is I have to wait till warmer weather to get here and it is driving me nuts .

Rockport, TX(Zone 9b)

Me too! We've passed the supposed last frost date but the nurseries have kept their hibiscus in greenhouses, so I'm waiting a couple more weeks till their stuff acclimates to natural setting outside, and hopefully we'll be past the threat of dread north wind. It is killing me to wait. So, instead of buying hibiscus yesterday, I bought a handful of other plants, yet most have no place to go yet. Silly.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

It's fun to be that silly though.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I am not even going into how many I've already ordered from Matt, HVH and Robert.....lets just say, my income tax refund went out the door and into the garden!

Oh, but I did splurge and special order for Tuni: a big pink collar with her name imprinted in Big, bold, rhinestones, with hearts, so people stop saying "what a cute boy" he is.....ergh!

This message was edited Feb 18, 2008 1:45 AM

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

PS...going to see Matt on Tuesday. Will bring camera :)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Ooh--can't wait to see your pics from Matt's!

Tuni's collar sounds really cute! If it makes you feel any better about the gender confusion, everyone always thinks Kirby is a girl! Maybe I should buy him one of those big collars with all the spikes on it or something to make him look tough and mean! I do have a cute hibiscus bandana that I bought for him and I was going to have him wear as soon as it's spring and I'm sure that's not going to help things! Right now he's got a nice masculine red plaid scarf for the winter.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Liz, you have to send us a pic of the hib scarf. Must be adorable! I'll see if I can find some msculine collars around here, lol.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I was planning to post it here as soon as I decide it's spring and put it on him. I was starting to think it was spring because our weather's been so nice lately, but it's going back to being nasty and rainy later this week, so I think the spring bandana is going to have to wait!

Same here Liz, it has been in the 80's with nights in the 60's and today it is raining and tomorrow it is supposed to cool off again. My plants are soaked (we have already had an inch or two this morning) so they will hate the cool, damp weather. Maybe by next weekend it will officially be spring....... hoping, praying crossing fingers, toes, eyes, etc.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Greetings, all!
With some sun recently a few flowers are beginning to pop so I took this shot yesterday and labeled it. I included size , but they are not necessarily typical. Mellow Yellow belongs to Hines and will hit the streets soon. Silverberry also belongs to Hines. Sorority Girl belongs to www.hibiscusplace.com and owner Matt Martindale will be among those selling HOY candidate Mountain Air. Casanova and Rock n Roll and Circle of Love are uncommitted sdlgs; Make Me Blush is too pretty to discard but has no commercial future. Area 51 (this is not a good bloom of it) and Pink Cascade will be marketed by www.hypnoticblooms.com.
peace,

Barry

Thumbnail by BarrysHibiscus
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Later in the afternoon I found this bloom in another spot where one gallon clones are setting first buds, and this big bloom is the first bloom of the variety on a clone, which is always interesting. Early clone blooms are sometimes almost as exciting as first blooms when you have chopped up the original plant for rooting and grafting trials such that you don't see blooms again for months. When you DO see one again, it seems brand new.
This is Imagine, very new to us but exciting.

Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a couple none of you have seen and the prize is Trail of Tears. These are nearly 9" and the blackish red is hard to capture with a camera. Oddly enough, the "tears" are yellow spots and flecks in summer, but we find that these dark ones without the tears are equally captivating for us. Unreleased and unsold at this point. The yellow is only 6.5" right now, but can be quite large in "Summer Heat" and the eye is more fun, too. See the next post.
peace,
Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Gosh, looking at those blooms of Trail of Tears online, I'm very disappointed. I'll try for a better representation of that variety when time permits. In the meantime, here's the real Summer Heat in hot weather. Love that chrome yellow and that eye! Too new to have been shown or offered to Hines or sold elsewhere . .
peace and warm weather,
Barry

Tulsa, OK

Barry I really like those pictures but I LOVE LOVE LOVE "Make Me Blush"!! You're right too pretty to discard - no commercial future? Well would you consider giving it a future to private collectors? It's a Beaut!!

Wow, beautiful Barry!! I really like Imagine and Trail of Tears :-)

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Barry they are some of the most beautiful I have seen, I really love Trail of Tears.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Those are gorgeous Barry! I especially like Rock n Roll and Trail of Tears.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

In love with Trail of Tears!!!!!!
I am posting a pic of Sorority Girl in a few minutes, from Matt's yesterday. It is gorgeous in person.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the nice comments, guys. If you like THOSE two Trail of Tears blooms, I thought you deserved to see it in hot weather.
Enjoy,
Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Or maybe this version . .
:-)
Barry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a much nicer Rock & Roll for Ecrane3
enjoy,
Barry

Oh my gosh, that Trail of Tears is wonderful, now where and when can we buy that one??? I really like Rock & Roll too :-)

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm right behind Karen. Who is going to sell "Trails of Tears" and, can we buy it tonight????

I am just blown away by the changeability (is that a word?) of these flowers. Being able to look forward to something new and different with the seasons, or sometimes just for the heck of it, is too cool.

Circle of Love and Imagine - and all the others - are to die for.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

OK, I must have Trail of Tears and Rock & Roll! Are you planning to release those? I hope so!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.