Amarryllis Outside

Valdosta, GA(Zone 8a)

Could I plant my Red Lion outdoors?
Iv'e seen them outdoors in Fla., but don't
know about S. Georgia. Sun or shade?
Will pesky squirrels bother them also.

Thanks Sherry.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Red Lion seems to have a nice hardiness about it and they are planted outside here in 7b and come back year to year.

Good drainage is very helpful. Winter cold plus wet isn't good, so amend your soil to improve drainage and pick a site that doesn't collect winter wet.

Wait until later to plant a bulb that is already going. At least until the nights are above 55F. When people are planting melons in your area is a good time.

For a new bulb, you might want to start indoors and transplant later when the soil is thoroughly warmed.

R.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

How much shade can they take?

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Hybrids like Red Lion aren't shade plants. If you want them to bloom again, they'll need good direct light.

Part sun rather than part shade.

Ladson, SC

I agree witth Raydio, as long it sunny part of the day. I plant them out at the endof March. I live outside of Charleston SC

I broke my ankle and I don't know when I can go out in the garden and plant some of my extra bulbs.

Independence, LA(Zone 8b)

Hey Siggy, If you are looking for an amaryllis that will bloom in the shade the regular old St. Joseph's Lily pass-a-long will bloom fine in dappled shade. I never would have beleived it but my mom put a couple of them in the shade and they have bloomed for two years now.

Valdosta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Raydio and Tranquil for the good info you gave me
I'll take your advice and plant outside in the sun.
Sherry

Tallahassee, FL

I have a question about amaryllis in Florida. For years I have had Red Lion planted outside, and they did great. I did very little to them. Maybe just a little fertilizer once a season. They made seeds which I shared with friends. Finally this year I invested in several others (Apple Blossom, White Peacock, Liberty Velvet). I have them in large pots outside, and the bulbs themselves are doing good. However, each of them set seeds which at first looked good, but they never developed. Several of the seed stalks seemed to rot. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Am I babying them too much? Perhaps watering them too much? When they are blooming or setting seed should I cut back on the water?

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Mine all Amarryllis are in the ground outside and growing great. Here is photo.
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla
Hyannis (Cape Cod), MA(Zone 6a)

Absolutely beautiful, Kaleem! I wish I could plant mine outdoors, but it gets way too cold here to try that! :-(

Thumbnail by litmusician
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Thank you ................. here you can see how much my Amarryllis plants outside......
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla
Plano, TX

my christmas gift to myself amarylis -that i planted outdoors a few weeks ago--is blooming!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.