Drip off

Florence, AL

What kind of problems do you have to deal with dripoff? Inside of my greenhouse is dripping really bad first thing of morning. My ferns are taking a toll. I have 6 circulating fans going, but humidity is still high.
What can I do?

Thumbnail by stumpenursery
Evergreen, CO

I use dehumidifiers in my business. I bet you could control your high humidity with one. What a nice clean greenhouse you have there!

Florence, AL

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

There is a plastic made for grhouses that is anti-drip (treated to get rid of drip) that is the inside layer. I have it, just replaced the plastic on the houses and there is still some drip occurring, but its not a big deal, imo as it mostly happens in the early am and as soon as the sun comes out and the fans come on, the foliage is going to dry out anyway. I think of it as watering the plants, although there is hardly enough of it to make a difference.

Florence, AL

Does this cause disease of plants, rusting or browning of plants?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

No, it shouldn't, especially because it happens in the early am, when one would normally water anyway. By the time that night comes, the foliage has dried off and the circular fans (not the exhaust fan) runs all night. Its when foliage sits all night with wet foliage night after night, that problems can arise with a foliar fungus or rot. And thats easy to deal with.

Florence, AL

What is your remedy? I spray a fungicide, but doesn't seem to be helping.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

remedy for what? The water dripping on the plants or are you seeing a problem with the plants? And if its a problem with the plants-can you take a picture of it, that will help. Just reread your posts-you said that your ferns are taking a toll-but what signs are they showing?

Florence, AL

Sorry, some of the leaves on the ferns are turning brown, kinda rusty looking. My ferns are the only plants having a problem right now. There is lots of new growth on them, but some of older leaves are the ones that look bad.

Evergreen, CO

They're not spores?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Is there a chance that they dried out? or fertilizer burn?

Florence, AL

I know that their not dryed out, maybe it is fertilizer burn.

Johns Island, SC

I don't think tigerlily meant are they currently dried out; she may have been asking if they had ever in their lives thoroughly dried out? I've done it more than I care to admit (I blame it on the plants---they were hiding from me!). The poor things feel like a feather when you pick them up. But after drenching in a bucket, they usually recovered, looked good for a couple of weeks, then started showing the same leaf-tip symptoms you describe.

Florence, AL

Maybe, I've had a couple days even this winter that is got to 90* and more in there.

Johns Island, SC

I'm continually amazed at how quickly plants in a greenhouse can dry out, particulary when the ambient humidity drops below 40%. I'm growing out a bunch of Datura metel/meteloides, and when I checked them this morning, they were all fine. Nice "heavy" pots (4 inch). By 3 pm, a few had started to wilt! I checked all of them and most felt light as a feather. In just 7 hours! I'll be up-potting the little devils to 6" pots which should help, but man, the change can happen quickly! Fortunately, we're not blessed here in the low country with many days below 50% humidity, but when that happens I go into "firehouse alert", because everything will need double watering.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.