Designing a garden with a slight slope

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Last year, I created two new flower beds in my front yard. Both are close to the street, which has a slight slope. Because of the slope, I was hesitant to pull up all the grass. I didn't want to create erosion problems by not having plantings there year round. Instead I left swatches of grass between the beds and the street.

Today as I was driving to work, inspiration hit me. I suddenly realized while admiring a neighbor's new plantings that I often see ornamental type grasses planted in areas that have slopes. Presumably, the grasses ward off erosion, and are low maintanence as well. With this in mind, I am questioning if all grasses would do this or do some of the have shallower roots, and thus would not be good options. I actually have an excess of ponytail grass (stripa) that I grew from seed last year. I often see liriope or mondo grass used in our areas.

I think that switching out ponytail grass for the present boring lawn would be more attractive, but I want to ensure that I don't end up losing my topsoil.

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!