'Aussie Sweetie' Basil

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I grow a lot of herbs for cooking--but I haven't really kept up with what is new (or new to me, anyway) in the field in the last few years. Just too many bulbs from seeds, and only so much time. I was at the garden center today to get those organic micro-nutrients that garden centers only seem to carry in the early spring (which I need for fall seed starting). I was strolling thru the herb section--which I was happy to see was well stocked (better than the early annuals even--to my pleasant surprise--hard to believe more herbs than petunias) and a basil caught my attention. 'Aussie Sweetie' is what the tag calls it--Ocimum basilicum. The hype on the back of the tag is what got my attention--here are the claims:

"A unique, rare, and sweet. Perfect for Italian dishes and pesto. Rarely flowers like other basils (yeah right, I'd like to see a basil in Houston Texas that did not go to seed in 60 days no matter what you do to try to prevent it--we have to "succesive"--I cannot spell the word-- sow basil down here). Tall slender growth habit (columnar) 24"-36". Easy to grow, can take drier conditions than most basils, loves summers in the south."

When I got to the checkout, the cashier (who knows me) had an astonished look on her face as she asked me for my tax ID sheet while I stacked 12 bags of soil stuff and one single basil plant on the counter. I seldom buy plants.

Anyone heard of this astonishing basil cultivar? I could not resist. =)
Debbie

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Debbie

I would LOVE to know if it is any good! Please share.. I may have to send you a box to grab me one because I have never heard of it.. I love Basil!

I'll be happy to let you know Jenn--I'll also save seeds and share, when it rarely sets seed. ;)

I just hope it tastes good too.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, well I hope it "rarely seeds" :)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I also want to hear how this does for you dmj1218 please. I grow pots of various basils in my greenhouse. Of course where I'm going to find seed for this one in my neck of the woods is a good question LOL.

Dahlia--this might not be a new variety, just is to me! I'll save seed for sure. I'm quite confident it will seed down here. ;)

I think I'll take a cutting today so I will have 2--one to see how long it goes without seeding and one to cut on to see if I can keep it from seeding.

We shall see how this "wonder from down under" does--if it even is from Australia. I have to admit, the curiosity of it got me. =)
Debbie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I couldn't find any seed on line dmj1218, only plants, so thanks so much for saving seed.

It doesn't have a distinctive look--we shall see as it grows. It's really cloudy down here today, not the greatest light here.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Pretty! I'm waiting for a report on its taste... I don't know how you resisted pinching back a stem, or at least nibbling the end of a leaf... :-)

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hey I am an aussie and hang out at the herb section at the nurseries and I must admit that I have never heard of it, just looks like normal basil to me. I did buy some aussie mint mentha australis and this doesnt look like normal mint, smells great though.

Annette--
I'm quite sure that its just the variety name and has nothing to do with Australia--sales hype.
Debbie
=)

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

I agree with you Debbie;))))))))))

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Hi- I am not familiar with the Aussie- but I just moved here to WA state from Florida- there I discovered Greek Columnar basil- it does NOT go to seed! and grows to about 3 ft tall in a very sturdy manner. I managed to bring 3 small plants with me, and they are still alive and awaiting warm weather to go outside. This is the most aromatic basil I have ever used, and easily roots in water. I also have a struggling plant of it's variegated form. I'm sure if you google it you will find sources.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for sharing that JoParrott. I haven't tried that one but its on my list now :)
edit: Others I found it listed as "Lesbos basil" or ocimum lesbos if you're looking for seed.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2008 8:52 AM

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Update on Aussie Sweet Basil- it is in fact the same plant as Greek Columnar Basil. Here we are 7 years later- I am still happily growing it and have sent cuttings to so many people. My biggest challenge is keeping it over winter. It roots well and lasts many months on the windowsill in water. But it seems just before spring it gives up the ghost! This fall I plan to have many rooted cuttings to pot up and keep in my little greenhouse. There is only one garden shop here that has plants in the spring- Fred Meyer-(same as Kroger)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Do your cuttings "give up" when you plant them in potting mix? The transition from "water roots" to "soil roots" seems to be an issue with many plants. I know some folks have had success with water-rooted african violet babies by gradually adding potting mix to the cup of water... something to try, if that's the issue.

I'm not growing it at present but hope to get cuttings from my MIL's plant this fall. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I have the Columnar Basil and it's so tall and bushy that it has fallen over. I will try my best to stake it up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.