So how's everyones Spring preparations going?

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have transplanted Lupine, Hollyhocks and Artichokes into 3 1/2 pots.

Started Tomatoes and a bunch of herbs. Just got my onions delivered today and will be planting those and potatoes this weekend. And I planted another 50 artichoke seeds today

Mrs Bronx had to cut back a ton of azaleas this past weekend and instead of tossing them into the compost pile, she had me make up some soil for her and she is attempting to root them. They seem be doing very well so far

BB

I've never even attempted to grow lupine here.
Today I started to clean out the plant shed and get it prepared for painting. I hope it will be a very very long spring. I have a lot to do.

GGG

Do they not do well here TripleG?

I pretty ignorant about flowers and decided to start some because I liked the way they looked and figured I could sell some as cut flowers at market this summer.

How's the foot?

BB

Is is spring yet? I thought I was still in hibernation! lol
I dug out my seed box last night and need to get busy. I started some purple and other color coneflowers. I want to try my hand at artichoke too. They are too pricey at the store and frozen ones aren't as good.

RaggedyAnn:

I have plenty of artichoke seedlings if you want a couple.

Have you started coneflower before? If so, can you post some tips? I have some but the packs say something about chilling them in wet sand.

BB

BB, I don't think they normally do well right in the city, but they can be grown OK from greenhouse and transplanted (although lupines can really pout after transplanting). Last year at Callaway Gardens I asked a lot of questions about the set (which was outdoors) that Walter Reeves uses for his TV show. They had a few things that are hard to grow here that they raise especially in the greenhouse and transplant into the garden as very short lived annuals.

Enjoy! It will be a treat!!

GGG

Albany, GA

BronxBoy, I've had great success at starting purple coneflower by simply starting seeds in flats of sterile potting mix. Distribute seeds over medium, cover lightly with mix, and sprinkle with water. Keep mix moist and in a couple of weeks you will have healthy sprouts.

I once had a "bed" of PC's that I started with a few transplants. In winter when cleaning out containers and pots, I dumped the old potting mix into the bed and then spread it out. Afterwards I would remove the dried seedheads from the CF's, shred them by hand and distribute over the top of bed. Sometimes I would remember to cover, other times I would lightly rake. At any rate I had all the transplants my friends and I wanted!

One more note, I found the PC "mother plants" fared well in this bed. I dug up a couple and the roots were suprisingly large.....almost woody like a shrub!!

Good luck,
HG

Thanks HG

Your way sure sounds easier than the instructions on the packet :-)

PC are like black eyed susan's in my opinion. You can't kill them!
I started mine the same way, BB, and they were showing in about a week. Thanks for the offer of artichoke. Hubby already bought some seeds, I just need to get them started.
Enjoy your day, looks like we will get some rain today :)

Susan

Working with sedlings today. Transplanting and starting some seeds.

I hope we do get some rain. I planted onions and potatoes yesterday

BB

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

BronxBoy,

I've grown lupines many times over the years and GGG is right about them - grow them as annuals here (must be our long hot summers). They don't get the size or longevity like they would in Maine where they look like well grown weeds. Delphiniums are another one best grown as annuals here but larkspur is a better choice.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Lot's of clean-up going on down here.. Weeds and such..everything is waking up.. I have an iris with buds..Lettuce, onions, shallots and radishes are doing great.. Planted a couple of new roses, some more herbs.. Also today, killed the first Cottonmouth in my yard..This is one thing I dread about spring.. We are over run with them most of the year...Daylilies are looking good, oriental and asiatics are up and running.. Daffs and dianthus are blooming all over.. My Larkspur's are more than ever this year..I love the way they reseed so faithfully..I have pepper, eggplants and tomato seeds already sprouted.. Flower seeds galore... Love the 70+ temps today.

Larkie

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I've been taking advantage of this pretty weather too. I was busy planting yesterday, planted one Weigeia 'Bristol Ruby' yesterday and have one more of these to plant somewhere. Just not sure where yet. Also put a Clerodendrum trichotomum(Harlequin Glory Bower) in the ground yesterday. It has small green buds on the tip of the "stick". I sure hope this grows into more of a standard than a shrub. Still haven't decided where to put two Red Buckeyes and a Viburnum. I've not seen many pictures of these as full grown plants (much less in person). It's hard to decide where to plant trees and shrubs when I can't visualize their mature size.
I had some bareroot plants that I planted yesterday too. Told ya I was a busy bee yesterday. 5 Indian Pinks, Spigelia marilandica, were planted under the drip line of a large pine tree that I use as a hosta garden. They are between a Brug and a Japanese Maple so I hope the hummers will be able to find them.
I'm glad to know that about Larkspur. Delphinums just don't last here in my gardens either.

Deborah

Cottonmouths

Ugh.

Well some time during my seed ordering, I lost my mind and ordered close to 70 pounds of potatoes and 1200 onion plants. Got some of them in but I'm a little behind.

My first batch of tomatoes are up and started all my sweet peppers today. Hot peppers are next

BB

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

How many acres of land to you farm, BB?

We have 2.5 acres but I'm not farming all of it.

Just about everything is in 12 or 10 inch raised beds. We have close to a hundred ranging from 4x8 to 4x16.

BB

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

BB, did you make boxed sides for the beds? What do you use to grow tomatoes on? To keep them upright, I mean. Do you make your own compost bin too?

I'm just curious because I haven't tried growing veggies yet. Mr. Baseball did many years ago but gave it up after the ants took the garden over. Plus we really didn't have a clue. The orka was almost a foot long before we realized we should have cut it alot sooner. :(

My neighbor has a large veggie garden made from raised boxed beds. They are so neat and tidy. For beans, he has this huge wide metal trellis that looks very similar to old fashion bed springs.

Here's a picture of some of my tomato beds. I used 2x10 or 2x12 boards to make them. All are 4 feet wide.

BB

Thumbnail by BronxBoy
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow! So the tomatoe plant grows up the poles? That's fantastic!

Larkie, can you tell me more about growing your shallots? I'd like to try!!
How do you start them off? By seed, or like garlic?

GGG

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey BB, sure hope your bring tomatoes seedlings to the RU~ Roger would surely love any you can share! Beautiful raise beds!

Donna

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

GGG,
I always just plant the bulbs, have never tried the seeds.. Bulbs do well here as long as you plant early before the heat... Just like onions, you need loose soil and good drainage.. Mine are planted in a huge tractor tire. along with radishes...

Larkie

Donna:

I'll be bringing plenty.

BB

BB, I can't get inspired to plant my back 40. Why don't you use it ? lol It ends right near the sidewalk that goes to a school and I'd be afraid that kids would be tempted when they are walking. I have seen some huge crows the past two mornings too.

Susan

Thanks for the offer Susan.

But I have all I can handle here. :-)

BB

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a question for you tomato growers.
I have always bought whatever looked good in HD or Pikes. I just looked for average size sweet red tomatoes usually with alot of letters after the name, cause I think that stands for disease or heat resistant. Last year I grew from seed, dont know what kind.
They were ok, but got leggy and dropped alot of leaves, probably a combination of me not knowing what I was doing and drought. I am only planting about 4-6 regular size tomato and 2-3 cherry or grape tomato. (which ever is sweeter in a regular salad.
Now, for the question.
Which ones? They would get plenty of water and ALL day sun. Is there such a thing as too much sun?

chris

Sorry, should have given it, its own thread. I did now.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2008 8:17 PM

No. Tomatoes can't get too much sun! Tomatoes often loose bottom leaves. As long as the plant has enough leaves to produce photosynthesis it will continue to produce fruit.
Make sure you water and mulch very very well, and feed them!! Tomatoes are piggies in the food department! I fish fertilize every 2nd week.
I can't recommend a tomato from Lowes or Pikes as I've never purchased a plant there. My favorite tomatoes are heirlooms. Heirlooms do really well here in the south.
Some good cherries are Chadwick, matt's wild, yellow pear.

FL

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

I asked my question wrong in the post. I want to know what seed to buy at pikes or walmart or HD. I will look for packs that say Heirloom. Any opinion on grape vs cherry?
thanks.

I posted a thread so not to hijack this one.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/816860/

thanks

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Ditto Raggedyann on still hibernating. What Spring? Gone are the days of me out in the cold erecting grow tunnels late Winter/and Fall!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Hmm, I have lettuces, cabbage, broccoli and carrot seedlings up. Planted a row of onion seeds, first dig into my raised beds this year.
I have some tomatoes started in my miniature greenhouse:
Early Girl
Ruger Select
Atkinson
Yellow Pear
Amana Pink
Cuban Black
Mexican Yellow
Caro Rich
Orange Oxheart
And some home saved seed from an organic tomato I got at the market that was just great.

Herbs planted are Dill, parsley and basil - not sure why, I guess I fell into silliness when I had two days of 60 degree weather :)

Planning to put out some radishes and other stuff this weekend, just not sure what else yet.

Sweet peas planted and I bought my very first bulbs this year on a whim: Glads, Daylilies and Freesias, oh, and 20 more strawberry plants.

That's about it so far. Send me some of those taters if you have too many BB, I'll plant a little row or two :) I grew my first ones last year from some store taters, they were mighty tasty for being the poor woman's method (sprouted taters in the organic bag...lol!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.