Books (nothing to do with gardening at all)

Shoalwater, WA, Australia

I noticed in another thread (can't find it for the life of me now) that a few people were talking about Dean Koontz. He is one of my favorite authors, and i'm in the process of re-reading my collection of his books. Did you know he also writes as Leigh Nichols? Written some really good books under this name.

I have a good many of Dean's books, but am always on the look out for more. I also love Stephen King, James Patterson, James Herbert, Jonathan Kellerman and Jeffrey Deaver, to name a few.

I thought, even though this is a gardening site, we could start up a book swap/sale thingee too. Unlike plants, there are no quarantine restrictions with books, so state borders don't matter :D

I'm gonna list the Dean Koontz / Leigh Nichols titles I have. If anyone has any other titles they no longer want, I'd love to have them. I can pay about 5 or 6 bucks for a paperback, plus postage. I'll do the same for Stephen King / Richard Bachman too.

Dean Koonts:
The voice of the night
Dragon tears
Strange highways
The face
Phantoms
Intensity
Watchers (the one about the talking dog mentioned in the other thread)
The mask
Mr Murder
Lightening
The vision
The taking
Odd Thomas
False Memory
Cold Fire

Leigh Nichols:
The house of thunder (scared the cr@p outa me when i first read it)
The servants of twilight
The door to December
The key to midnight

Stephen King:
The tommyknockers
Cujo
Misery
Pet sematary
Desperation
Firestarter
Gerald's game
Delores Claiborne
The eyes of the dragon
Thinner (originally came out as by Bachman, but my copy is by King writing as Bachman, so it's a newish edition)
The talisman
The green mile (in a single book, although originally came out as a 4 part series)
The stand
Bag of bones
Needful things
Four past midnight
Dreamcatcher
Rose Madder
Nightmares & dreamscapes

Richard Bachman:
The regulators.

Not sure why Stephen King started writing as Bachman and then killed him off in '85. Desperation and The Regulators are very closely related, even though he wrote them under different names.

While i don't want to sell any of mine, i might be open to doing a loan/swap thing ... you send me a couple of yours and i'll send you a couple of mine, then we send 'em back again when we've read them or something like that.

Cheers

Kerri

Thumbnail by kerri_67
melbourne, Australia

i have a heap of stephen king/richard bachman books but wouldn't be willing to sell any of my collection.

with 4 kids my reading has stopped for now - but i would dearly love to start reading again soon. life just needs to slow down a little :)

shelly

Coffs Harbour, Australia

What a good idea Kerri! I didn't know Dean Koontz wrote under a different name. I am a keen reader, although haven't read alot over the last few years, other than Harry potter novels and some Dragon novels (Eldest and Eragon, by Christopher paolini)
I have a Dean r koontz one called "From the corner of his eye" and "intensity"
I read alot of others from the library, but can't remember them.
I also have "Geralds game" and "desperation" by Stephen king. And also have read much of his stuff over the years.
I have the collection of Virginia Andrews stuff too, "Flowers in the Attic" and the "Heaven" series.
I would love to swap/ borrow the Leigh Nicolls ones kerri, as I'm sure I've not read those.
Check out postage first, else it might be cheaper to hunt them down in second hand bookshops! I'm happy to pass on the couple I have, as I don't usually read a book twice.
Sue

Merino, Australia

Hello Kerri. Nice to see a fellow reader of the same books. I have read everything written by Stephen King and Dean Koontz. My favorite Stephen King book is definitely "The Stand" I keep the unabridged copy here and when I am out of reading matter, I re read it.
I really like the older style Sci Fi not the new fantasy stuff. The 'Rama" series and the "Foundation" series are 2 that come to mind.
I read mostly these days, thrillers and murders of the forensic type. My favorite authors are below if you want to try them. I don't buy books any more as they are priced way beyond me the way I read. I am lucky enough to be able to access online and order from my local Library. They get books in from all over the state . It's cheaper and as I am avid reader (about 8 books a week if I can get them ) it is the best way to get them.
Reading comes 2nd in line to gardening, then my painting. I also love crosswords and usually buy a book of them every month.
try theses authors if you like the thriller, murder type.
Lisa Gardner
Tami Hoag
Kathy Reichs
Jonathan Kellerman
Karin Slaughter
Nora Roberts
Just a few of the ones I read.
Must go as there is a grass fire started nearby and hubby is the Comms Officer for the area so will need his trusty offsider to answer phone. Happy gardening Jean.

I loved the Flowers in the Attic series too, Sue. At least the first 4. After that it seemed to get a bit wishy washy, i thought. When the movie of Flowers in the Attic came out, i was terribly excited, and went and saw it first chance i got. What a disappointment though ... it was awful.

I think postage goes in the weight of the package, so I'll take a couple of paperbacks down to the post office next week and get a rough price.

77 ... How'd things work out with the grass fire? Hope all is well. i read most of my favorite books time and time again. After a while, i forget what happened, and so even though each part of the book is familiar as i read it again, the ending is still always a surprise. (and no, i dont forget cos i'm getting old, just always been that way :p) I'll keep an eye out for the authors you mentioned. Always on the look out for new stuff to read.

Cheers

kerri

Melbourne outer east, Australia

Here you go. This is something I do know about. :) in any language you want too.

Liz

SOURCE OF HEADINGS: Library of Congress Online Catalog

INFORMATION FOR: Koontz, Dean R. (Dean Ray), 1945-
Scope Note:Search also For works of this author entered under other names, search also under
Axton, David, 1945- ,
Coffey, Brian, 1945- ,
Dwyer, K. R., 1945-,
Nichols, Leigh, 1945- ;
West, Owen, 1945- ;
Paige, Richard, 1945- ;
North, Anthony, 1945-
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SOURCE OF HEADINGS: Library of Congress Online Catalog

INFORMATION FOR: King, Stephen, 1947-
Scope Note:Search also For works of this author written under other names, search also under
Bachman, Richard,
Druse, Eleanor

Andrews, V. C. (Virginia C.) = Flowers in the Attic books

See Also: Neiderman, Andrew

THIS IS FROM AUThORITY FILE OF LC (Library of Congress or LIBRARY GOD)
The Complete V.C. Andrews WWW site, 24 July 2003: |b V.C. Andrews biog. (following her death in 1986, the Andrews family "has worked closely with a carefully selected writer" to expand and continue her storytelling; the ghostwriter has since been identified as Andrew Neiderman

Phone call to Simon & Schuster in UK, 24 July 2003 |b (following the death of V.C. Andrews, some works completed or written by ghostwriter Andrew Neiderman were publ. in UK as by "The New Virginia Andrews" but now all continue to be publ. under the Andrews name as before

This message was edited Feb 16, 2008 7:07 AM

Wow! I had no idea koontz wrote under so many different names. Are you a librarian Liz? I thought about becoming one of those, but decided i really hated working in libraries, so decided it probably wasn't a good idea. In all, i have about 8 years experience as a library clerk. Everytime i leave a library job, i swear i'm never ever ever gonna work in another library, but somehow, i've always ended back in one, even when i say in the interview "no, i don't like working in libraries, i just need a job'!

Anyway, i'm going to make note of all those names Koontz writes under, cos i could be missing some really good books and not even know it! Thanks Liz :D

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hey Guys,
Some of you may not know this but I work part time in a Science Fiction / Fantasy / Horror / Thriller / Crime orientated bookshop. There is a very good free resource online to look up author bibliographies. Check it out at http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/ . The bookshop will take want lists. You can Dmail them to me if you wish.

Kaelkitty.

Wow ...kk what a job! I have a huge library ...and never enough room for my books ...I love my books like I love my plants sadly the last lot I lent out (over 150.00 dollars worth ) never came back, I read everything (including labels and the back of cereal boxes) my favourites have all been mentioned so I won't go on about those ...my first "real book" was Roots given to me to read while in hospital after having a baby gulp 41 years ago that lead me to a book addiction that came even before my plant addiction.I have it all ...cheesy ...historical ...cook books are big! gardening books bigger ...classics ...adventure ... Mitchener and all the big sagas.
Of course like most of you I am into forensics, gore and blood ...:)
Nothing like a little light reading lol ...I love the series Prime Suspect, Wire In The Blood and Dexter ...who would have thought we gentle little gardeners are addicted to such things ...it may just scare the horses lol.
chrissy

Yes I am a librarian and a technician as well. I still have a H C Andersen from my childhood (1950's) with a call no in it. Even way back then I was going to be one..... :)

These days I run my own comapny and we work for 9 libraries doing a lot of LOTE (Languages other than English) and English cataloguing as well as end processing and book repairs. (book binder qualifications)

I collect early Australiana and women's travel writings from the 19th century and earlier if I can get them. I also keep my eyes open for special kids books both modern and old. For eg Graheme Base's book called Animalia.

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. I have been out to spray a bit of water around the brugs and epis etc. It is only 34C now . down from around 39C earlier. It is so hot after our cooler weather . The last gasp of Summer.
I remember reading books from very young.. My father had a large bookcase and I used to sit there in the corner looking in all the books. There was an old set of encylclopeda and a dictionary which I loved to read . I guess that's why I love books now. They are all extensions of that dictionary. The first real book I read was 'For The Term Of His Natural Life' which was a catalyst for a lifelong love of history and genealogy. One of Dad's books was always a favorite and I still have it. Yates Garden Guide, Who garden's without this ??
Of course there were the old faithful Little Golden Books, The Famous Five, The Secret Seven and lots more. I still like The Magic Faraway Tree and would like to get the copy about all the lands at the top of the tree.
Liz , you and kk may know something about 2 books I have here. I found them a few years ago in a box of old stuff at a clearing sale . I kept them because they interested me.
They are by Charles Laseron. published 1953/4
One is 'Ancient Australia' the story of it's geography and life. The other is 'The Face Of Australia'. the shaping of a continent.
I would be glad to know something about them.
Time to put the fan on. It's very muggy here but there is no rain forecast.
Happy reading people. Jean

Jean both more recent editions are changed by someone else so probably worth hanging onto for purely showing change in the way things were written up. I can't say if it is worth anything but have a look at this data base. By the way Ethel Turner and Mary Grant Bruce are very collectable preferably ist ed.

http://www.booksandcollectibles.com.au/bsearch.php3?bsearch_submit=Search&auth=Bruce%2C+Mary+Grant&title=Golden+Fiddles

++++++ist ed.+++++++++++++++++++++++
Record Id: 22135639 (Australian Library Collections)
Author: Laseron, Charles.

Title: Ancient Australia : the story of its past geography and life / by Charles F. Laseron.

Published: Sydney : Angus and Robertson, 1954.

Description: xiv, 210 p., 22 p. of plates : ill., maps ; 22 cm.

Dewey Number: 551.700994

Contents: Includes index.

Subjects: Paleontology -- Australia.
Paleogeography -- Australia.

++++++++++++++++++++New edition came out in 1984

Record Id: 1749372 (Australian Library Collections)
Author: Laseron, Charles Francis.

Title: Ancient Australia : the story of its past geography and life / Charles Laseron.

Also Titled: Third edition of Charles Laseron's Ancient Australia

Edition: 3rd. ed. / revised by Rudolf Oskar Brunnschweiler.

Published: London ; Sydney : Angus and Robertson, c1984.

Description: x, 342 p., [40] p. of plates : ill., maps ; 25 cm.

ISBN: 0207141819 :

Dewey Number: 551.7

Series: Australian natural science library
Australian natural science library

Notes: "The third edition of Charles Laseron's Ancient Australia".
Palaeogeography. Australia (ANB/PRECIS SIN 0400106)
Fossils. Australia (ANB/PRECIS SIN 0400114)
Previous ed.: Sydney : Angus & Robertson, 1969.
Includes index.
Maps on lining papers.
Bibliography: p. [297]-309.

Subjects: Paleogeography -- Australia.
Paleontology -- Australia.
Fossils -- Australia.
Natural history -- Australia.

Other Authors: Brunnschweiler, Rudolf Oskar, 1915-

++++++++Ist edt.+++++++++++++
Record Id: 26506268 (Australian Library Collections)

Title: The face of Australia.

Published: Sydney : Angus and Robertson, 1953.

Description: 244 p. : illus., maps ; 22 cm.

Subjects: Physical geography -- Australia.
Australia -- Description and travel.

+++++++Revised new ed 1972
Record Id: 9396976 (Australian Library Collections)

Title: The face of Australia / [by] Charles Francis Laseron ; rev. by J. N. Jennings.

Edition: [3rd ed. rev.

Published: Sydney] : Angus and Robertson, [1972].

Description: 200p. : illus. ; 24cm.

Subjects: Physical geography -- Australia.

Other Authors: Jennings, J. N. (Joseph Newell)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.