Electric fence pest control

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm installing a relatively inexpensive electric fence around my garden space to train the dogs to stay out. They tend to accidentally trample the small plants and like to dig in the soft dirt. I'm using a low-amperage electric fence (pet & child safe) since it's cheaper and easier than putting up a real fence. I think that it will be easier to keep weeded, too, since I can easily run a weed whacker under the fence wire. I already have the fence, http://www.havahart.com/store/product.asp?dept%5Fid=47&pf%5Fid=SS%2D2KX&mscssid=7V68BSHWGH4U8MKACXH50GBMLJAHDJQB

My question is about also using it to keep rabbits away. My thought is to add two more strands of wire (besides the one for the dogs). I'd put one strand very near the ground at 2-inches or so and the next strand about 6-inches from the ground. My thought is that the first would be low enough to discourage crawling under, while it and the slightly higher strand would discourage hopping over.

Has anyone ever used electric fence for rabbits? Is my plan reasonable? Any thoughts?

David

Missouri City, TX

The principle will work - but - you knew there was one of those, didn't you?
Two things:
1) grass and weeds grow so quickly that the bottom wire will ground out every few days in Texas,
2) the "shock" may not be enough to discourage the bunnies.

Been there - done that - but for long hair dog.

The first Fido-Shock I bought was a continuous charger - kept a German shepherd in line. When he died (after a good long life), got a Chow-Heeler - much thicker hair, and the original charger was dead, too.

Bought another - same brand - now intermittent instead of continuous - did not faze the dog, and the grass quickly (weekly) shorted/grounded the line.

Went to Tractor Supply - got a 5-joule cattle fence charger - that WORKED.

It worked so well, I could put up a single wire around anywhere I did not want the dog to go, and it would not even attempt it - ever.

Had to buy another charger when some neighboor dogs were coming through the back wrought-iron fence. But once again - after the first REAL shock, they don't try it again. However they did tear up some of the wire and pvc posts trying to get away. Only took a few minutes to repair it.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

The lower amperage shockers will work with bunnies and you don't have to put them so low to the ground, but you do have to add a little psychology. One company suggested an apple wedge or a dab of peanut butter on the wire, which would result in a jolt to the nose or tongue that wouldn't be soon forgotten!

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I'll have to try apples. My two dogs love peanut butter, so it would be cruel to entice them to lick the wire. My thought with the lower wire was to put the wire in the range to catch the rabbit nose and/or ears. The dogs are relatively short haired, so they probably won't be an issue.

Thanks for the tip.

David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.