Propagation Guava from seeds.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

As much as I wanted to eat this fruit, but I've a Pineaple guava in the garden that needs another guava to cross pollinate. Any one can assist me on how to go about collecting the seed, and germination process?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Well after you spit the seeds out Kim ...then you plant them lol ...
but of course if you want quick results perhaps a plant would be a good idea, me ...like you I can't resist those seeds but I am starting to reach a point where some things that might take years to flower, do seem to matter now ...:)
chrissy

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Chrissy;
Ecrane3 has helped and pointed out that the two gauvas are of different genera, thus they may not cross. This is the tropical guava, and the Pineapple guava differs. :((
Ah, if the seeds ever germinate, I'll ship them to my subtropical friends....I guess. lol.
Kim

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2088/

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Lily, I have a pineapple guava in the garden. It doesn't seem to need another tree of any sort to give tons of fruit. We also have strawberry guava, but it flowers at different times, so I doubt it is polinating the pineapple one as Ecrane3 has said. Really pretty bark on the tree, sort of red and greyish with light straw colored streaks. Good luck with it, it you are sucessful you will have more fruit than you know what to do with!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Aloha BHM; I understand guava could grow rampant in the tropics. Here, luckily I've discovered that Pineapple guava endures our winter. Thanks for the well wished. I'm going to try to germinate the seeds and see what happens next.

Aloha Lily,

I believe Guava is on the "pest" list here in the islands. Funnily enough I have not had trouble with them seeding all over the place, but I bet Carol does in her area which is a lush, verdant area, not hot and dry as it is in kihei.

Carol is sending me some Abui fruit so we can eat them and plant the seeds right away. I have never had Abui but it sounds delicious, it's suposed to taste like caramel - yummy. Anybody else eaten Abui?

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Hello All,
Ok I love caramel :P..there is a fruit that tastes like it??? yummm.
I will check this Abui out lolol.

I looked up the "real" name - Pouteria Caimito, if that helps.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

BHM;
It's mightly tempting, that makes me wanna move to the Islands so I can gardening all year round. lol.
Thanks for the info.
Kim

Gardening year round is mighty hard work, Lily. Never any time off for good behavior! I don't know how Carol copes because her area is truely a garden of Eden.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I heard that. Cope? I'd be in heaven. lol Somedays soon we (hubby and I) will visit the Island. Hope you'll take us under your wing and show us the beautiful paradise. DH wants to see some historical sites, I want to see it all.
Kim

Thanks Jenny. I think if I could garden all year time off would be a non issue :*)

You guys would be welcome if you come to Maui. The more the merrier.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Kimarj, let's line up. We've to make the trip. My sis. Jeri made it last year. This year Christi and DH, next year it our turn. More need to join in with us. lol.
Thanks BHM.
Kim

Hopefully one day ... what a happy bunch we all would be!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

As I was told in the beginning..this just can not be the one and only trip to the island. Never, ever been anywhere as beautiful. Jen and Frank are the absolute best hostess and host ever. Gosh to think we were there just a few hours ago. Still haven't come down to the ground. This was straight off the plane. It only got better.

Aloha,

Kilikina

Thumbnail by LouC
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi there princess Kilikina and who may the Prince be? Beautiful couple you two are!
Kim

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks. This couple is Frank and Jenny. My prince is Mike.

Thumbnail by LouC
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Christi and Prince Mike, I'm glad you've had a great time. Hope to meet up with you soon.
Kim

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

As tour guides, Frank and Jenny are above and beyond...the very best. Would never have dreamed we would see so much of the island in such a short time. They could easily develop an itinerary for the best of the best.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It's wonderful how we can make the connection with gracious friends from a distance. I just love it. Can't wait until we all somehow all get together.
Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.