Solandra - There is a fifth!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well my Solandra finally opened and it didn't look like any of the pictures in plant files. Upon some research I discovered a 5th species, nitida which is a synonym for maxima in plantfiles. After looking at countless pictures I'm beginning to think that nitida is separate from maxima because of the petals.

maxima
grandiflora
longiflora
guttata
nitida

My flower does not have the frilly lacy petal edges the first four have .. the petals on mine are smooth. Since it decided to open in my greenhouse on a cool and cloudy day, I'm sure the color of the bloom is not what it would be if it were hot with direct sun.

I have written a note to a grower at TAMU to see if they can help in identification.

Here is a link to a picture (it's 8 megs -dialups beware)

http://www.nerii.org/Ron/Solandra.jpg

X

This message was edited Feb 12, 2008 10:48 AM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

FINALLY! It's beautiful. Interesting info. Where did you get yours from?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks .. I traded for it. I will probably be cutting it back again in the Spring since it blooms on new growth. It roots very easily.

X

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

wow okay another plant to add to my list of wants

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well I heard back from the guy at TAMU and he said it looks like maxima/nitida. Upon further research, looking at pictures of what is labelled maxima and what is labelled nitida that there are inconsistent petal variations between the two. Both species, maxima and nitida appear to lack the tight cupping physiology the others have.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=solandra&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

The only explanation I can come up with is that nitida might actually be a sub-species of maxima

Whatever it is, I'll call mine maxima for now.

X

This message was edited Feb 12, 2008 4:09 PM

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Imzadi, my seed collection is a prime example of the igottahavethat disease. Late last Summer I finally grit my teeth and said no more new seeds until I plant and grow what I have. I've cheated a few times but for the most part have stood firm on my conviction.

Since it roots easily I plan to leave one out in the ground for the winter next year since it is suppose to be hardy in our zone and see what happens.

X

This message was edited Feb 12, 2008 4:33 PM

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i got seeds i have to plant to. its bad to have that gotta have disease. hehe

my dh told me the other day ineed to go through my seeds. i wonder if plants count agianst no more seeds. hehe

i hope it survives for you considering our wacky weather here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.