When do you plant pumpkins?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

My Grandbabies want to grow some this year and I have no clue...never tried these before. They want all sizes too..lol So I thought we would give it a go.

Hi Janet:
The soil needs to be very good and warm to grow pumpkins, squash, melons and other plants of this family or the seeds will rot in the overly cold, wet ground. The soil should be in the upper 60's or 70 before planting. You might be successful some years by planting them in cooler soil temps if the soil is drier.

GGG

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

So after Easter around the same time for Caladiums? At least after our last "surprise frost" LOL

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Depends, If you are thinking halloween pumpkins, and you plant them in April, they will be ready for harvest in July. Difficult to keep till halloween. I usually plant in June for ripening in September.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

thanks for the info!

That is good advice Farmer dill. We grow 'em for PIE!

YUMMY. Sometimes we'll grow two batches, one early and one late. 'cause that means... MORE PIE!

ggg

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Pumpkin pie is my favorite, so I guess I'll opt for April. Thanks for the info.

Janet, do you have seeds yet. I got some at Cooper's last fall for Autumn Gold (about 10 lbs) and Jack be Little (miniature). I've plenty if you want some.

Becky

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If you really like pumpkin pie, you should consider one of the C. moschatas. They don't get the pretty orange of a halloween type but much better quality for eating.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Farmer, I'll check it out.

I just got seeds for Black Futsu. YUM!

GGG

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I will check my seed packets...seems like we bought some last year that never made it into the ground...not sure what they were, or if they are still viable. My DD and DH love pumpkin pie too...I prefer citrus pies, lemon or lime..but they will eat the pumpkin pie with cool whip till they are sick! LOL

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

That Farmer really knows her pumpkins, but I'm surprised she didn't mention how much straining is involved to get that delishous pumpkin pie stock, but I think its worth it. Mike

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Mike, you mean you don't just scoop it out and mash it up for the pie? I have never made a homemade pumpkin pie. I do seem to recall my DD or one of the girls tried it once around Halloween and it was really a disaster...hmmmm...seems like it was really watery or something like that....so give it up...the SECRET to making pumpkin pie?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Personally I bake the squash or pumpkin ( I actually use mostly cushaws or C. moschatas) ( baking makes a much less watery puree) Scoop the baked flesh into a blender, puree, then add the other ingredients ,blend, pour into pie shell, bake for 30 minutes.

The C. moschata Beung Karn

Thumbnail by Farmerdill

Janet, I only watched my mother work on the pie, but I was sooo attentive, but that was 50 years ago.DW says you can open a can much easier.However, there is nothing to beat the real pulp of the pumpkin.I do know that if you don't squeeze it through a calldander, it will be so stringy, and a "let down" Mike

Oh, you will really notice the difference in that and the can.

Yes, they have come up with a blender in the last fifty years. You go Farmer Dill. Mike

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Awesome...thanks, I will pass on this info to my DD who loves to bake!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.