Audio bird attracting methods

Amherst, NH

It may seem like cheating or "fooling mother nature" but I have found that playing a CD of bird calls on a boombox in my backyard has greatly increased the number of bird species visible in my yard. The probability is that they have been occasional visitors all along but by playing the bird call CD at a time of my own choosing I can attract them when I am ready for them
and they seem to stay around as long as their particular song lasts. The CD I
use comes inside a book," Common Birds and Their Songs" by Lang Elliot and
Marie Read. There are 50 species of birds covered and the book has beatiful
photos and brief info for each bird. I would be interested to hear from other DGers if they have experimented in this area. I have had success attracting
bluebirds, orioles, turkeys, flickers, kingbirds, and the stunning pileated woodpecker.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Cool, drzz! I might give it a try. Do they dance if it has a good beat??

Maybe if you do the chicken dance...

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Or schicken dance??

Ok - you got me.

Amherst, NH

No dancing but the crows have started walking with a bounce in their step like the ones in the old Merry Melody cartoons.

Alfred, ME(Zone 4a)

Play a Rap song and watch the Chipmunks break dance.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Aren't you the clever one!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks drzzsheehan, got the book today @ Amazon.com (+ Common Bird Songs CD by Donald J. Borror), Expect Nightingales to attend the 'concerts' as well as they are highly territorial. FYI, "The Great Backyard Bird Count" @ Cornell Lab of Ornithology begins this friday. Tallies can be submitted @ http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/ . Years ago when I used to breed and raise canaries as a hobby I used the technique to refine and accelerate the development of their songs. ☺

Amherst, NH

Forced canary labor, WC2? Did they at least have their green cards? Even if it's too cold or snowy out for bird attracting, your
cats or dogs will provide entertainment when you play the bird calls inside and they try to get the birdy inside the speaker cabinet.:>)

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, canaries are bought, bred & sold for their singing capabilities. Organizations even hold singing competitions. The recordings are the only way many breeds refine their songs since they do not exist in the wild.
I gave up the hobby years ago, the feathers aren’t good for one's respiratory system.

http://www.avianweb.com/canariesspecies.htm

Luckily, I don't have dogs or cats! ☺

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.