Please read! Need to eradicate this punk

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

My folks call this Rattlesnake Weed. I found a "rattlesnakeweed' in PF but there are no photos or comments, so I'm not sure if that's a match.

I put in some new beds last year, this has crept across my yard over the fall and winter and has invaded my new beds. Now it is creeping across the lawn to other areas of the yard. I must do something about it, and manual pulling doesn't seem to get it all.

The plant has very deep root systems; they cris-cross the entire yard as it spreads. Some of them are connected to deep tubers (which give the plant its name according to my folks). At this point, I would greatly appreciate any control advise.

I am going to post a handful of photos here.

Thanks,
David

Thumbnail by speckledpig
Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Another photo.

Thumbnail by speckledpig
Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Another photo...

Thumbnail by speckledpig
Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Another photo.....

Thumbnail by speckledpig
Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Another photo.......

Thumbnail by speckledpig
Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Another photo...........

Thumbnail by speckledpig

You poor thing. Looks like a hedgenettle to me. Try Stachys spp.?

Did a some checking for you. Looks as if you may very well have Stachys floridana which I just read goes by these common names:
Florida Betony
Florida Hedge Nettle
Rattlesnake Weed (there are several other weeds sharing this common name)

Here's the PlantFiles entry for it-
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/32086/
As you can see, there is only one photo of this plant and it is of the plant in bloom. Your photos are very good. If you believe I am right and you do have Stachys floridana, please take a moment to add all of your photos because it's real hard for people to go by a bloom when attempting to identify a plant and you have photos that people will relate to.

I've not had to deal with this weed myself personally but I've had to deal with hedgenettles. They're tough.

Now mind you, I've not had to get rid of the plant I think you have but based on a lot of poking around I did for you I think you might have to consider using a product that contains dichlobenil at some point in time. I only know of two, Barrier and Casoron. Of the two, I've only used Casoron before on Horsetail weeds. I got rid of the horsetails... and everything else in the vicinity using that product. Haven't touched it since.

Here's some information on dichlobenil-
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Maintenance/pdf/dichlobenil.pdf

Here's another article I found that looks very interesting that discusses the use of glyphosate to control Florida Hedgenettle. Glyphosate is the active ingredient in RoundUp-
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubs/PDF/C867-11.pdf

Please don't shoot the messenger but I don't think you should be trying to dig that up any longer. I think it's just going to laugh at you and come back to haunt you when it starts active growth this coming spring. Consider buying a few cheap stamp licker bottles from some office supply store. The kind with the sponge applicator tip like old style shoe polish bottles. They only cost about a buck a piece. Now fill it with RoundUp at regular strength not a concentrate. Sit down and bond with your Betony by sponging the undersides of several leaves on each plant on a day when your weather report states you will have air temps of above 60° for the next week. It is very important to wait for good air temps otherwise the plant will go dormant and you'll just be wasting your time and money on chemicals. Wait 10 days and re-apply. Don't dig them up when they start looking as if they are dying. Patience. Give the RoundUp a chance to work its way to the very tippy tips of all the roots and dig them up about a month later. RoundUp doesn't work overnight and generally you don't see signs that it is working for at least a week if not longer. If the RoundUp doesn't work, and I think it will if you apply it properly and at the right times, then try the Casoron which is going to be a lot more expensive and a lot harder to get your hands on.

Benefits of using a stamp licker bottle is that you're applying it directly to the plant you want to nuke so no risk of overspray or dripping on desirable plants.

Please post back how it goes with what ever route you decide to take. Stachys floridana is formally identified as being invasive and there will be others out there who are probably going to struggle with it. Best wishes to you.

Sorrento, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi speckledpig
Another control for Florida betony is a preemergence herbicide, prodiame, Look for products labeled for lawns. The only downside is that prodiame cannot be used on St.Augustine grass. I liked Equilibrium's idea of the sponge applied round up. I am going to try that on my stinging nettles that take over my yard in the winter.

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks much to both of you. I know that I face a long and toilsome journey as I work to rid my garden of this horrible creature. It is relentless and this summer will be the showdown. I will begin with the roundup suggestion and go from there. Ugh.

I have St Augustine grass in my lawn (or what's left of it) so the prodiame suggestion may not be best for me.

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Update:

Well, this beast is in flower now and I have been doing my best to pull them up before it goes to seed. I have been religiously round-upping them with some success. Not sure if they will come back from the roots, but I haven't seen any signs of life where I have sprayed the entire area.

The stamp bottle has also worked for selective weeding, great idea.

The battle wages on....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.