Canna ? Are they worth the fuss?

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Any one here in the cold region of the country grow these? Are they worth the digging up or pot dragging into garage? What is the easiest way to store them? I have ordered some from Horns Canna Farm and wonder what have I gotten myself into, more work at the time of year I really have had it. Have I made a mistake or will I be happy with the result and put in the extra effort to keep them alive?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have grown them several times. I have not done as well as dahlia in storing them and they are a bigger messy clump to deal with. IMO they are a great foliage plant - and require a fair amount of room. They were one of the few plants hummingbirds would feed at for me.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I had a dwarf one a few years back, but didn't save it. I do like them and even thought of getting some this year - but would probably just get the cheap dept. store ones to try.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I love them - especially in and around the pond. I just treat them as annual and dump them at the end of the season.

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

They're worthwhile. Very versatile. They're thirsty, so give them lots of water. In full sun, they do ok in standing water! Or they'll do fine in partial shade, which alot of tropicals won't. Few pests are interested in them, mostly slugs.

The tubers expand considerably over a season or two, so eventually you get a good return on the initial investment. In the fall, dig 'em up, rinse 'em off, dry and put in a paper bag with some peat. Or a cardboard box. Store in a cool basement or garage. I've known folks who just shake & throw them in a bushel basket and heave it into a corner of the basement. Or leave them in their pot and put in a cool greenhouse.

In the spring, just break them apart to divide, and let the new pieces dry a bit to callous over, a day should do it. Even if one part is mushy, sometimes if you cut it off, the rest of the tuber is ok. Starting them in pots indoors first is a good method, as you need warm soil for them to get going. They're tough. I like them for the foliage & height. They grow a bit better directly in the soil, but they can be used nicely in containers too.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Well sounds like most people like the plants and if the hummers like them might make them worth the fall effort. I will give them a try and let you know how this all works out. At $1.25 -$4.50 a plant treating as annuals may be a reasonable solution for a tired gardener by the time frost appears. Thanks for the info on storage and your experiences.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I grew some last year for the first time. Mine were in a container on the deck in full sun, and grew with absolute minimal effort from me. I was kind of surprised that they could get that big in just a short span of time, but they do. I wasn't super crazy about the flowers...maybe it's because with my mostly shade garden, I'm just not used to looking at strong color like that. I admit to be to be tired (cough-or lazy-cough) at the end of the season and I didn't dig them up. Shame on me, I know.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I did the same thing, Noreaster, back in 2006. I do like the foliage on many of them but the flowers are underwhelming to me and they weren't of any interest to hummingbirds here.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Same thing here, they look more impressive in the catalogs, I forgot mine and left them in for the winter... didnt miss them come spring. ☺

Funny! Me neither.

I grew mine for the foliage but had nice flowers on a few.

I will be ordering one this year, just one (three to a package).
http://www.dutchgardens.com/Australia+Canna/21495,31388,default,cp.html

That's nice. Wanted it from B & B last year but it was sold out. Love the dark ones. You like Dutch Gardens?

I love Dutch Gardens!

I 2nd that... good big bulbs! ☺

Better than B & B? Price/quality comparison?

- No complaints. ☺

No complaints here either. I've bought lilies from both places and they've been equal.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I've been happy with Dutch gardens.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I like them, but...lol...I like plants to have the "sock" look to them, and they just aren't worth the effort for me. Plus, I find the flowers to "crap all over" ...not nearly as bad as fuschias...I don't think they clean up nice. So, the few times I have used them, I just whack the flowers off...'Stuggart' 'Bengal Tiger' 'The President' 'Tropicana' were the ones I used.
Tried, off and on over the years, but, I said "PLLLLLLLLLLLL" to them. Think I like the calocasia/alocasia for foliage, or if on a limb, some of the bananas...or for some vert, the shell gingers, or flax...phormium(?).

HHH - I tried the same ones as you did and quite a few more. It does seem with that foliage the canna should have a drop dead flower but it doesn't. The calocasia did grow for me but maybe it's my fault for the garden where I planted it but it wasn't right and I've been cured of that one, too. The phormium was one I paid $35.00 for, on sale, and it did make it through the winter but died last July. The cordyline is nice but I did keep it potted and it's still in fantastic shape with a few coleuses that match it: that one is a keeper!

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

pirl-we have to stop playing into one anothers hands...lol.

We both seem to want the drop dead flowers! Aloha, dahlia, was a "wow".

Thumbnail by pirl
belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

heehee - drop dead flowers just doesn't sound like a good thing...

Especially when sent to a wake.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I didn't have much luck with the canna last year.... mine bloomed a few days before frost.... I think I might have planted it too late... and my ground takes forever to warm up... going to take nedweenie's advice and start them indoors this year

They really do needs lots of water too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.