Cold Climate gardening -ornamental grasses

(Zone 8a)

New to this site.Notice that most of the posts are from warm climate gardeners.Would be interested to hear from any cold climate gardeners,particularly those that have an interest in herbaceous perennials and ornamental grasses.
Although global warming has reduced the snowfalls in Orange in recent years , we still get temps down to -10% during winter and the first few inches of the soil (in the shade) stays frozen for days.At 3,000 foot above sea level ,most summer days are the the high 20% with around 15 days over 30% up to 35%.Cool summer nights keep soil temperature down making it ideal for herbaceaous perennials and ornamental grasses - grasses that might be a problem in warmer climates never self seed here -in any case many of those grow are sterile hybrids.
Would love to trade some plants with other collectors - in particular I am seeking any grass species molina, muhly or sorghastrum

Thumbnail by defcan100
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Beautiful picture defcan. Is that your garden? Just lovely. I love grasses too, but am a warm climate gardenenr, so cannot be of assistance at the mo, but I will do a bit of research for my own interest now!
Sue

(Zone 10a)

Cool. Orange is my home town. Went to Canobolas High. You can grow walnuts & hazelnuts, so the cold weather certainly has it advantages. I started some blue fescue from seed in December that is coming along & would like to try some more of that kind of thing. Maybe some maiden grass. Your picture is along the lines of a wild meadow look I would like to replace a lot of my lawns with. Would native bindweed fit in? I am expecting some seed soon that I don't mind sharing. Its not exactly a grass, but its similar. Been dabbling with moss & accent type of stuff. Orange is a good place to grow some nice moss.

Melbourne outer east, Australia

I have just been given a grass that they are marketing as "Purple splash" that might work for you. It's on this web site and as far as I know it's not a hybrid but a made over in name of an older variety. It's quiet tall and looks like a tussock grass not a runner. I will be interested to see if it comes back or I have to grow seeds. I have a few reservations about it getting loose in the paddock as the seed heads look quiet nasty even tho the whole thing is very pretty. We don't go below freezing but normally our winters are cool and it's supposed to be wet.

http://www.hellohello.com.au/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.