Chamelaucium (Waxflower) Propagation?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

They have bouquets at a local nursery, do you think I'd have any luck rooting plants from this? They're on woody stems.

I asked them and they said no, but I don't really trust them.

This post looks a little lonely, so I thought I would just say hi and the waxflower you are talking about is not something I have ever tried to grow from cuttings ...it may be worth a try ...If I was going to try to do that ...I would stick the cuttings in a sharp sand mix ...no fertilizer just a little seaweed tonic and see what happens ...perhaps someone else will know ...good luck with it
chrissy :)

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks... I've never had good luck rooting in sand though. And I don't buy organic stuff like seaweed. I prefer to use the commercial junk since it's cheaper. Maybe some rooting hormone, vermiculite and sugar water?

Merino, Australia

Hello, just saw the name and thought I'd pop in as I grow this plant from cuttings. I loved the Geraldton Wax as it is usually called, when I saw it growing in the wild in West Australia. I have 4 plants here about 6' high and 5 years old , all grown from a piece I found in a lot of old flowers that were thrown out.
I use tip cuttings about 4''-5'' long. strip the leaves from the bottom to 3/4 of the way up stem. Scrape a small bit off the side at base to allow a bit more area to form roots.
Dip in honey or rooting hormone and insert in small pot . The mix I usually use for my cuttings is 3 parts propagating sand and 1 part potting mix. I use the sand bought from nursery or hardware store as it is easier to get than river sand. You can use the sand as is without anything added. I add a bit of potting mix to retain a bit more water when its hot here.
Put lots of pieces in as you will lose a lot. They are not an easy plant to get going. I have 2 in a pot that are now 2 years old and are growing well. They are a bit slow at first but once in the ground will reward you with years of flowers and they look after themselves. I never water mine after they are established the first 12 months. You can cut them back for flowers and thay are not invasive. There are a couple of different types. The common Geraldton Wax has a sparser look than the Esperance Wax . There are various shades too. The most common is White, but there are pinks and mauves too. They are a plant from a hot and dry area that gets little rain for most of the year. pic is of 2 of mine taken just now..
Happy planting Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

That is very interesting Jean ...I know some of these things are hard to get going ...so I have never tried, just goes to show that where there is a will there is a way. What a pity you can't get washed river sand ...you almost grow a broom handle in it lol.
chrissy :)

Merino, Australia

Hello chrissy. There is a river near here but the sand is too hard to get to and I think the local authorities may frown on taking any sand. I use the bags of propagating sand from Mitre10 and they are excellent . They are not expensive and I also use it in my epi mix for drainage.
Very hot here today. Time I went and filled all the bird swimming pools again. Happy day .Jean.

I order mine delivered from the garden centre ...not very expensive only about 30.00 for about a years supply.I don't know anything about propagating sand ...it most likely is a similar stuff very coarse for good root forming.
Enjoy the day hope the weather is kind to you they reckon we have had only 3 days that reached 80F this whole Summer here.
chrissy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.