Yellowing on Hanging Towels

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I have neglected to wash the thick, white, fluffy "company" towels in a timely fashion and now they are dingy on the outside. You know the towels I'm talking about. The ones that hang in the corner back by the shower that nobody actually ever uses. (What the heck is the point of that anyway?) I'm sure a lot of it is just everyday dust, but there is also a smoker in the house so I'm betting there's some smoke / nicotine coming into play here too.

Does anybody have any ideas how to whiten these babies back up? My mom swears by powdered dish washing detergent & dry bleach (didn't work) and an online search told me to use vinegar or alcohol (which didn't work either).

These really ARE nice (expensive) towels that I think I shall start using instead of saving for the imaginary company. But I would love to bring them back to their pristine state before doing so.

Any and all suggestions apprecated!

This thread has 25 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!