Aftermath of the tornado in Clinton, Ar

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

My MIL lives in Clinton, AR, which was hit by one of the recent tornadoes that swept through the South on Feb. 5, 2008. My DH was up there today and he took these pictures of some of the damage.

This picture shows all that is left of the boat factory.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here is another view of the boat factory.

Thumbnail by marsue
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Amazing! How awful!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, Kelli, it was/is awful what tornadoes can do.

Here is another picture.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

and yet another. . .

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

and another. . .

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

My MIL lives about 1/4 mile from where these photos were taken. She said she could hear the tornado as it passed behind her house.

This message was edited Feb 7, 2008 7:49 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Those pics just leave me speechless.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Me too!!!

Judy

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pepper, the destruction left behind by a tornado does leave you speechless. It looks like a war zone. You just can't really get a "feel" for the destruction unless you see it first hand.

My family and I lived in Cabot in 1976 when a tornado destroyed the downtown section of Cabot and then went on out north of the town where it did more damage. 5 people died in that tornado. My husband and all four of my children were in the path of that tornado. Fortunately, the tornado turned and missed the school where my two older children were. My two younger children were at a day care center. The roof over the carport of that day care center was blown away but the house and the children and teachers inside were untouched. PTL!

edited for spelling

This message was edited Feb 7, 2008 10:36 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

As always these shots bring back seriously bad memories.
Thanks for posting them and starting this thread though Sue.
It's good for people to see just how destructive tornados are and to NEVER take them lightly.

Glad you and yours are OK!!!!!!

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

That's right, Ric. Sometimes I think those of us who live in tornado-prone areas don't take the warnings seriously enough because we hear them so often during "tornado season". These pictures and the videos we have seen on TV just point out how very real the danger is when a tornado warning has been issued by the NWS.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Mau, I am just SO glad that you, Pau and MIL are safe!!!!
HUGS
Tammy

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Tammy. Pau and I weren't anywhere near that tornado. We live 65 miles from there. It was MIL who was in the path of it. She has a full basement with two bedrooms, living room, bath and kitchen down there so that is where she goes during bad weather.

Good night and sleep well!

Hugs to you!
Mau

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm speechless. Tornados are so devastating, it brings tears to my eyes. So grateful your MIL is safe.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thank you all for your concern for my MIL. She is fine.
However, all of the people affected by Tuesday night's storms will need our continued prayers for strength and encouragement. Immediately after a tornado, the people affected by it are in sort of a daze--I guess they are in shock--and the real truth of what has happened to them doesn't "sink in" for several days. Some of them "crash and burn", emotionally speaking, once they do realize the awfulness of it all. It takes a long time to recover from not only the emotional damage but also from the actual damage to the physical surroundings and material possessions. Many times there is a great deal of depression and hopelessness seen in those who have lost "everything", especially if they were uninsured or underinsured.

Marilyn

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Mau thanks for sharing the pictures. All of the tornado victims are being prayed for by myslef and my children. These pictures really puts things in perspective.

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Here are some pictures from Jackson, TN. My brother didn't take the pictures, one of his co-workers did.

http://picasaweb.google.com/j.razz1

The first 2 albums show the devastation. My heart just breaks when these things happen :(
I'm going to put some care packages together, and such, to those who my brother knows who lost everything. We on DG know all too well after Katrina how slow the insurance and other help comes :(

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for posting that link, Trish. Those photos just confirm the devastation that a tornado leaves behind. Those of us who weren't affected should certainly "pitch in" and do whatever we can to help our "neighbors".

My MIL has offered the living quarters in her basement to a couple in Clinton who lost their home. These people are friends of hers and they have gratefully accepted her offer. Once I find out the sizes of clothing they need, I am going to round up some things for them and I am sure the members of their church will help out, too. When someone loses everything: furniture, food, clothing, etc., it can be an overwhelming task to even begin to replace all that, even if you do have insurance. How can you buy furniture if you don't have any place to put it? See what I mean? It is an overwhelming task, indeed. That's why these people need the help of both friends, neighbors and, yes, even, strangers.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I can understand the emotional impact. We went through that after the Northridge Earthquake (1994). Even if a person doesn't personnally experience much loss, seeing the loss of others and just having your stable world shook up can take a toll.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Trish these shots are so much like Xenia and Kettering it's scary.
Especially Apt shots.
Thanks for the link.
BTW The Red X means it's been searched.... this is used on all vehicles, buildings and rubble piles in the affected areas.

Ric

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Marsue,

I agree, it is hard to know where to start. Although, after helping with Katrina, I did have some ideas. People are so overwhelmed, they really don't know where to start themselves. A care package is almost always welcome. For the people that my brother knows, I'm asking him to try to come up with some "favorites" of people...chocolate, teas, whatever. Make up some packages.

Then, everyone will need gift cards. They don't know what they need yet, nor what insurance will pay for, but they will need stuff. Also, they will need to eat, and it isn't easy to live in a hotel room without a kitchen to fix food.

Just one person at a time....that's all we can really do. But to make someone else smile is truly priceless!

Ric- it sure is......*shiver*

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

It's been almost a week now since the tornadoes made their rampage through so many counties and states. Those who have lost loved ones, homes, material possessions, etc., may just now be realizing the truth of what has happened to them. We know one couple personally who didn't really start to realize the awfulness of their situration until this past Saturday when the emotions started to overwhelm them.
Don't let this just be another violent act of nature that is soon forgotten by those of us who weren't directly affected. We need to continue to remember these people in our prayers. If you are close enough to those who find themselves in this situation, many times just a hug can speak volumes. After that, the practical aspects of daily life can be tended to with your contributions and donations of clothing and furniture, etc. Each of you will have to decide for yourself what is the best way for you to do your part in comforting your 'neighbors'.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.