Care after Blooming

Moorestown, NJ

Sorry if this was covered before. I just read the instructions for care after the buld blooms and how to get it to bloom again from Royal Colors. They indicate that the 2nd year bloom is not as nice. Also the buld must lay dormant until January. What are your experiences? Do you have success from year to year with the Amaryllis reblooming.

Thanks

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

The fate of these bulbs does decidely depend on the husbandry you (will) perform on your bulbs. In my opinion the companie's opinion is indeed coarsely justified by a statistics point f view (the majority of bulbs will be dead after habīving been released into "private customer's" hands- but, though, it is not a statement which I could assign as "fair" - neither to the capability of the bulbs to recover and to multiply under "private customer's" conditions nor to the customer him/herself since the implication is "the customer will probably be too stupid or too lazy to do the homework which is necessary to rebuild the bulb"

One cultivar which is indeed very likely not to do it on the long term is [b]Pink Floyd[/b] But that is certainly one exception among very few others. (However, Pink Floyd is a good cultivar to breed with, and the majority of the seedlings will largely surpass its parent in vitality).

Among the environmental conditions it is according to my opinion in the first order the POT SIZE which is crucial for sufficient success. The substance of a bulb which has produced 2, 3 or even 4 scapes (the latter is absolutely realistic in Exotic Star, Pamela or Calimero) is substantially reduced, and it needs a lot of space for roots to develop within in order to extract enough water and nutrients out of the substrate, in order to rebuild a new bulb of similar size when it was purchased.

On the other hand if you do not manage completely to reproduce the former bulb size, the performance of scapes and flowers will be better, since the bulbs are equipped with intact, undisturbed roots, and this is improves the new growth considerably.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/haweha/PinkFloyd4.jpg[/IMG]
[i]Pink Floyd, 2nd year[/i]

EDIT: Why does the forum board code not work for me?!

This message was edited Feb 7, 2008 2:30 PM

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Haweha,
Are you saying we sould INCREASE the pot size say one size larger? Ansd what about bone meal or other fertilizers to rebuild? What is your opinion?
Thanks
Julie

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Hans~

You can only upload the picture from your computer to your post.

As you know by now, you can also post a link to the offsite source, but you can't link a picture to download into your post, as you can at some other gardening forums.

R.

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

Thank you R.

In fact I understand that I have been some sort of spoilt by the features of other forums.

Now, as regards to the pot size: YES Increase it, and use DEEP containers, and include a thick drainage layer onto the bottom, and then water exclusively from below. As if you were imitating a supply with "groundwater".
I regret that Veronica opposed so vehemently against watering into the saucer. In fact it is a serious fault to apply more water that can be readily absorbed by the substrate. And, the uppermost inches of substrate should always remain or at least appear completely DRY with this watering technique. Dark spots on the substrate surface do already indicate serious oversupply with water. "Water into the bottom where the majority of roots reside, and air from above, so that the roots can respire".

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.