who had the Pineapple plants

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Last fall I fell in love with some tall pineapple plants that one of you had in the yard. I was told to remind you and I could do a trade for some - but I don't know who that was. Any ideas? The plants were the tall pineapples - about 3 ft tall or so.

Kathy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Are you sure it was this forum and not someplace like Tropicals?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, it's not like a real pineapple tree, it's the ornamental ones and someone from around my zone grows them.
http://www.bloomingbulb.com/cartProductDetail.asp?ProductKey=286&bulb=Pineapple%20Lily&flower=Pink

here's the link from Bloomingbulb.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh--pineapple lily not pineapple. That makes a lot more sense then. I couldn't figure out why anyone would have been talking about pineapples in this forum, but pineapple lilies would fit right in!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Kathy is this what you are looking for? patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

That's it. They are beautiful. I don't know much about them but it's beautiful.
Kathy

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I have been planting Eucomis for the last couple of years. I stored the bulbs inside and replanted. Some in containers and some in the garden. They did great. I left some in the ground this winter to see if they would winter over. I have several different ones. The pink one is more tan than pink. They last a long time. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

They are beautiful. I want to add that to my wish list for this year. I've just come to the conclusion that coneflowers are not going to be a part of my garden this year at $17 - $20 each. I just won't do it.

I've read some folks are having trouble with them since all the issues had not been worked out with the newest ones. If I run across them at $10 I may go for it but that "want" item may need to wait another year.

I will probably order some of the pineapples..........

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I will wait and see if I can get any of the more expensive ones from Brent and Becky when they go on sale. I love them. I have had lousy luck with echinacea. I was tempted by the coop, but passed. I can't even seem to grow them from seed. Patti

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

remind me when Brent and Becky's have their sale.....

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

kathy, I will. I have done two orders, so far and now will wait for the sale. I need more things for "our" stream. Patti

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

ME TOO

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Where are you shopping for coneflowers that they're $20 each? You can definitely find them cheaper than that--check Bluestone, you can probably get a 3-pack for $10 or so. High Country Gardens also has a decent selection of them, theirs are a little pricier than Bluestone but you can still get a plant for $7-10.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

In 2006 it was at the end of May. I must have had some restraint last year as I didn't put in a sale order unless they didn't have one. Patti

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Ecrane, which have done well for you? patti

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Sorry, I've never grown them, I just know those two places sell a good variety because I see them every time they send me a catalog.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I've got to get some house cleaning done today but I'll check out these places is evening.

Kathy

(Zone 1)

In Plant Files: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56461/ it shows 4 people who have or want this plant for trade. Maybe you can d-mail those who have it to see if you can make a trade with them.

There's also a nice variegated version listed in PF: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/657/ and 4 people who have or want this one also!

Good luck on your search Kathy! It is a Beautiful plant!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

great idea - thanks.
Kathy

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I saw these pineapple lilies at the Denver Botanic Gardens last year. They were in the South African Garden I believe. Eucomis Vander Merwei- that is how it was spelled on the tag. Most probably the coolest plant I saw on that trip!

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I saw this one there the year before. Didn't catch the name of it... Beautiful though!

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Here is a close up of the flowers...

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

they are beautiful aren't they

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

plutodrive,

I believe the one you didn't catch the name of is 'Eucomis bicolor'.

Really love that small one. WOW!

Joy

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Thx for the ID Joy!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Now who is going to trade me some? Or postage me a few?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Kathy - were there any special coneflowers you had in mind?

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Kathy,
Let me check my stash & see how many I still have of the Eucomis, my only problem is, I did not mark the color of them last year, so they could be pink or white.:)Anita

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Red,
Yes, I want Tiki, double decker, lime, and the other one - that is bright fushia.

Anita,
I love both the pink and white. I don't really recall the difference in size but I"ll ck and see if there was a difference that I was thinking about. I just think they are stunning plants.

Kathy

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Kathy,
Did you check on the size thing? That might tell me what they are. :)Anita

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

The picture I recall on DG was taller. I had seen some short variety but the tall one really caught my eye. I need more time on the computer to play - less to work but it's not working out that way.
Kathy

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I saw that post too. I will go on the hunt. It was huge. Patti

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3754408

this looks like it. The original picture was taken of a members yard

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh, Am I having a bad day, I thought you meant the color of the bulb, duh you meant the color of the flower would tell you the size.
Will go see if I can locate what tote mine are in & get back to you, I think I had 3 of each color left, but wish I knew how to tell what color was what. Mine grew to about 12" tall..
:)Anita

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I saw a different one. I think those may be short, but yummy. Patti

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

this is the thread I saw with the giant ones. Patti

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/637515/

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Eucomis.
this one posted by Jmorth looks like it. BUT the picture I saw was probably on the curb appeal or something where they were showing pictures of plants near their house and it seems the picture was near the walk way to the front door. Anyway - I love this plant.

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

OK , I'm officially a dork!! When I could not find them in the totes in the basement I went outside & found 2 containers that had gotten left out over the winter, 1 being the Pineapple Lilies, so I don't think I will have any this year either, that bums me, cuz I really liked them, I will see if they pull through but I highly doubt it. I need to STOP buying new plants & take care of what I have, need to downsize some of the many Callas, Cannas, Begonias & ect that I have to bring in for the winter, it's just getting to much to do by myself.:(Anita

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I agree with the inside plants. Theres enough out there to make me happy without buying things I have to dig up or bring in. Like caladiums - I love them. BUT, I dug mine up and traded them for coneflowers with someone in Florida. Worked for both of us.

I don't like tending to a bunch of houseplants anymore. There's one good spot in my house that gets great sun and I put them all in that one area.

Anita,
I hope you're doing okay - dmail me when you can.

Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.