Would like ID of yellow flowered plant, Ireland

Franklin Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

Hello again. You were so helpful with the Fuchsia ID and I'm hoping you can tell me what this one is.

Another September bloomer in County Clare, western Ireland. We didn't see these in great numbers but they were spotted here and there in pastures and fields. We picked some along with other wild flowers the first day we were there. A week later, they were still perfuming the dining room.
Louise

Thumbnail by GreenAtHeart
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Common Toadflax (Linaria vulgaris)

Resin

Thanks, Resin. That's exactly right.

What kind of a gardener am I to have never even heard of it? And now, when I know what it is - it turns out to be classified as an invasive here. Makes cattle sick, has a gazillion seeds per plant and also spreads by underground runners.

Guess I'll just have to admire its beautiful color and jaunty appearance in my pictures (and memory).
Louise

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

As long as you are not near cattle, sow it. I find it incredibly easy to eradicate when it gets somewhere I don't want it. And it looks brillant in a slightly barren area - I let it self seed in the gravel bed. don't back away from good plants just because it is listed as invasive, it is dependent on how you want to use it.

Laurie1, thanks so much for the information. I've REALLY wanted to get some seeds, and the nearest cattle to us are about 2 to 3 miles as the crow flies.
Your encouragement is all I needed to get moving.
Louise

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Oh, excellent.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.