Cinnamon Caution

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

I've heard of this before, but something in the paper today reminded me of the fact that too much cassia cinnamon could be harmful. I recommend Ceylon cinnamon, which contains much smaller amounts of courmarin. It might only be available in this country by mail order, depending on where you live. Almost all cinnamon sold in this country is cassia. Last fall I first heard of it and ordered some Ceylon cinnamon from Penzys Spices, which has a website. Also those who want to consume more cinnamon for health benefits can use an aqueous extract of cinnamon, which is supposed to be safe as far as coumarin.
http://www.bfr.bund.de/cm/279/frequently_asked_questions_about_coumarin_in_cinnamon_and_other_foods.pdf

This thread has 16 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!