Identify this tropical plant

Orlando, FL

Please help me identify this plant. I thought it may be a hosta at first, but now I don't know. Much thanks from Orlando, FL.

BG

Thumbnail by bgfl
Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Thats a palm. Washingtonia, perhaps?

Garden Grove, CA(Zone 10a)

I have had Washingtonia seedlings and that doesn't look like one. Don't know what species it is though.

Louisville, KY

Not a palm but Cyclanthus not sure which species goes by the name jungle drum it's in the same group as the plant called palm hat plant which is a odd group of south american plants once thought to be Palms then thought to be aroids due to the flower. It was later placed in the cyclanthus group and are closely related to Pandanas or corkscrew pine.

Hamilton, AL

Looks like a coconut to me. I had one last year that looked just like it except the greenery was coming out of a coconut. A freeze got mine.................

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Howdy. I came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/810372/

This is solved! Salut!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Well done!

Miami, FL

this looks like a desert rose to me and I am new to this site. I just bought this plant and the bulb on the bottom of your plant reminds me of my new plant.

Orlando, FL

Thanks to everyone who tried to solve my mystery. I believe that Flora4fauna, Marcy_1, and even bwilliams are correct: it is a "Jungle drum" indeed, but not a palm exactly. This Carludovica is a "stove" plant, created specifically for tropical gardens. I got it for $1.00 at Publix because I liked the corrugation of the leaves. She seems to be doing quite well in my tropical bathroom.

Best regards,
BG form Orlando

(Zone 1)

I have the Carludovica/Jungle Drum and but mine doesn't have the split in the leaves yet. I was assuming that happened when the plant was older.

Here's the link to this plant in Plant Files: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/72394/

You should upload your photo there.

Atenas, Costa Rica

Carludovica palmata Cyclantaceae

Keaau, HI

The plant is Cyclanthus bipartitus.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Dave! Where have you been all this time? Must be quite a treat resurrecting all the old threads. I know I have enjoyed it. Lot's of them I have never seen before.
Good work.

Christi

London, United Kingdom

This plant is not tropical - it's an aspidistra (one of the 'cast iron' plants). You find them everywhere as houseplants and outdoors here in Britain. Very hardy, and yours has lovely green healthy-looking leaves, so it obviously gets enough fresh air and misting. Wish mine looked as good - no brown on the leaves (caused by dry air).

Keaau, HI

If it were an Aspidistra, it would have singular leaves coming from an underground rhizome. I just looked at the 'Milky Way' and 'Variegata' varieties of Aspidistra elatior in my garden, and they look nothing like my Cyclanthus bipartituts which has the classic split fishtail leaves that the above picture shows, and they come from a central stem, that eventually will form a clump with suckers arising from the bottom of the plant.

Gisborne, New Zealand

This plant looks like a palm I had for years. I no longer remember the botanical name but it 's common name was fish tail palm. It grew from a small plant to a large plant and the leaf never altered its shape. Which was why I bought it in the first place, This plant has sure
stimulated interest. By the way the leaf also had a sort of pleated look. Lesley.

Anza, CA(Zone 8b)

I just saved a Jungle Drum from Home Depot where they were trying to kill it. Nice to see that someone above is growing one in the house, because that's where mine will have to stay.

I had one a few years ago and a light frost killed it, so apparently they can't tolerate any frost. It was right up against the house where the other plants that didn't tolerate cold well were kept - they made it and the palm didn't.

So this one will stay in my sunny bathroom.

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Doesn't look like a Fishtail (caryota) one if my FAVOITES! It still liiks like the washingtonia babies that grow on the 1000's here in every spot of soil. Anyway, I love a good mystrey!
I looked up Washingtonia Palm and I thought you all might like this that came up-
Mr. Smith Identifies a Washingtonia! :)

This message was edited Jun 28, 2008 10:35 AM

Thumbnail by LApalms
Keaau, HI

The plant is still Cyclanthus bipartituts.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.