how to put this delicately?

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

Called vet this morning cause Joe was sweaty and acting weird. He looked like he was gagging on his hay with every bite then he'd come over to me and push his face against me and nicker then go back and take another bite of hay and shake his head around flinging chewed up bites of hay. He did this the entire time I was cleaning his stall. Decided to leave him in till vet called back. After I was all done out at the barn this morning, went back and stood at his stall door to see if he was still acting strange and he came over and pushed his head against me again only this time he came up over the top of the stall at me, with his head still down, pressed against my arms. Realized he wasn't playing, but had to be jumping up on me for another reason and took a quick peek under him and sure enough, yup, hormones have hit full force. Put his halter on and put him out, regardless that it's raining. Figured he needed a cold shower. As soon as I got back to the house, my vet showed up so went back down to the barn. First words out of my mouth is I want "them" off and now. LOL. She said "I've noticed". Guess he was a little excited to see her too. We go out in the pasture and he immediately rears up at her and then turns and kicks her in the hip. So I get his halter out so I can hold him while she checks to see if by any chance his missing part has dropped. As soon as we get near him, he gets "happy". So we let him off lead and go back in barn to give him a few mins to pull himself together. Check out and he is back to normal. Head back out and as soon as we get out there and near him, he gets happy again. Sigh. So I hold his head while she tries to check and she barely gets to the side of him and he starts kicking at her again. She never did get to check. Training is going to be fun tomorrow. Meanwhile, she's checking with her boss, the lead vet, to see if he will OK crypto surgery on him at 9 months. If not, I may have to separate him from the mares and may have to stay away from him myself, unless he can learn to control himself soon. Right now, my vet was shocked at 1) how big he is and 2) how dangerous he was today.

This thread has 39 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!