weird white things growing on epiphyllum

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

My epi isn't looking too happy. Some leaves are turning yellow and some of the ends of the leaves are dying. I thought maybe it was winter woes. Then I noticed this white stuff growing on the bottom of an unhappy leaf that I cut off. Is this the problem? If so, what is it and what do I do about it?

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you have tons of that white stuff then maybe that's the problem, but if it's just that small amount then I doubt if that's causing the problem--I suspect the plant was already stressed by something else and the white stuff may be starting to move in to take advantage, but I don't think it is the root cause. Based on your description of yellowing leaves I'd suspect a watering issue, especially if the plant's been cold and wet that wouldn't make it very happy.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I decided to take ecrane's advice and I brought it inside. Sure enough, a lacewing flew out of it when I hung it up inside. You're probably both right. If they are lacewing eggs, I don't want them to hatch inside. Oh the dilemma! Thanks for your help.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Fly is correct about the lacewing eggs. I would leave it outside during our nice days, and bring it back inside when it gets cold. The adult lacewings need pollen and nectar to feed on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.