CLOSED: CLOSED: Wanted: Bowling balls you don't use

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

Hello forum i got bitten with the Gazing Globe bug. And had been looking for old bowling balls to start making one. No luck so far at nearby thrift stores, so i was wondering if anyone aroung here has any they do not use, i am willing to pay shipping.
Thanks
~Soris

Hi I love Gazing balls myself. Do not pass over some of the (glass or plastic) lamp globes you might find, they work equally well.

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

Hello Dutchlady, you know as a matter of fact today i was at a craft store and saw some styrofoam balls, they where a similar size of a bowlling ball. I hesitated to buy it because i dont know if that material would be any good once i put all that grout and tiny mirrors. What do you think?

I have no experience with them, but seeing as how styrofoam doesn't deteriorate EVER in the landfills I think they would be fine. Maybe ask on the craft forum?

Independence, LA(Zone 8b)

Have you tried asking at the local bowling alley? I asked for any old ones and got 3 for free. Also Craigslist.net or freecycle may get some results.

After summer this year I happened to hit Hobby Lobby when the outdoor stuff went 90% off and found some really neat balls to place around the yard. Hope you find some soon, good luck :)

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

Thank you pieohmy, will try craiglist. it didnt cross my mind.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Dulci I don't recognize your name so I'm not sure if you have been to the trash to treasure forum, but there are lots of examples of finished ones there. Many of the crafters have gotten the bowling balls FREE from local bowling alleys. You DO NOT want to pay postage on those things! LOL ~ Pat

(Zone 1)

Dulcigarden: I think shipping would be astronomical on something as heavy as a bowling ball! I think you should check local bowling alley's and ask if they have any old ones they could part with! They would probably like someone to take them off their hands.

I've been wondering if one of those large hard plastic kids balls would work for glue and mirror chips. I might just give it a try and see what happens.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I went to my local bowling alley a few yrs ago and ask for their throw aways
ended up with 22 bowling balls :)

Thumbnail by notmartha
(Zone 1)

That is Stunning!

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

I am actually new psychw2, to the trash to treasure that is. But this is perfect for me i love making new from used and old. And you know i thank you for the advise on mailing one of those. I thought about the postage, but i realize is just going to be ridiculous. :) Will try a bowling alley, although i must admit i am very timid when it comes to asking for stuff, but this gazing ball project is dancing inside my head, so i will ask.
notmartha: That is just beautifull, is almost magical. What do you use to glaze it ?

(Zone 1)

Dulci: Just call your local bowling alley's on the phone and ask if they ever give away old, no longer usable balls. I bet you will get a good response. It costs them money to dispose of them, so I bet they would give you one or two.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

that is modge podge(decoupage)then sealed with acrylic sealer spray!
You can also use those big Christmas bulbs that aren't quit as heavy

Dulci, I find myself getting bolder and bolder with age! Some members got the bowling balls FREE from thrift stores. After a while, any balls that have not sold are thrown away. Just another source for you to try! ;-D ~ Pat

Bolder and bolder with age... that is me! What does it hurt when people say no, after all.

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

I have a good friend that tells me that i have no idea how many things i would get in life if i just asked. I really need to get bolder. he he

As a teenager (and I'm 52 now), I sold a horse. AFTER the horse sold, a friend said "I had NO idea you were going to sell her! I would have loved to have bought her!" It taught me that if there is something I REALLY like, always say "if you decide to sell, keep me in mind". I always offer to pay for something, even when I think they will likely give it to me. That's how I got the "perfect" tree stump for a pedestal for metal sculpture & a cool hollow log for landscaping. Recently, I got a really ugly plaster angel stand simply by asking to buy it (it was sitting looking dejected outside in the weather). With two new coats of paint & a sealer, it's a beauty now!

(Zone 1)

Oooh ... psychw2 - would love to see photo's of your Treasures!

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

A tree stomp!! Oh i want one so bad. I actually saw one last year, it was in front of an auto body after they brought down a tree. I could have taken it, only if it hadnt been so heavy. :( ...and not one soul around... sob sob

I want one too and have the same problem a LOT. Next time I see the bulldozers I am going to have to bribe one of those guys to drop one off after work....

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

i love junk, does anyone gets that awwwww feeling everytime you see that piece of junk and after looking at it and maybe turning it a couple of times vuala! you know the perfect use for it (specially in the garden).

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

These are my latest junk projects. a strawberry planter? ;-)

Thumbnail by Dulcigarden
Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

A birth bath? i actually got this idea from somewhere online. It's half way done, needs the mid section to be filled with shells. i of course ran out of them half way into it.

Thumbnail by Dulcigarden
Independence, LA(Zone 8b)

What do ya'll do with tree stumps? I have several in my yard and wish I could afford to remove them!

(Zone 1)

I had one in our backyard left over from the 2004 Hurricane's. It was sitting next to the fence and I sat a bird feeder on it. Last month my DH threw it away because he found termites in it!

I don't have a picture of my angel pedestal yet, I think I have a picture or two of the stumps on the other computer. I put some pictures up on the hyperturfa & cement forum to show my cement benchs and the rock & cement borders I had.

On this link, a few photos down with the picket fence, you can make out a metal sculpture cat in front of a "white gate". That is one of the pieces of wood I asked for. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/779605/

The other piece of wood was a good sized section that included where the tree branched out into 2 trunks. I settled it upright into the ground, filled it 1/2 way with rocks for stability, and then added potting soil and planted petunias in it. The trunk was RIGHT next to the bird bath so my cat could stand on it and drink out of the bird bath without tipping it over. I've looked and can't find a picture of that right now.

Lowell, MA(Zone 6a)

Love that bench! Love angels in the garden.

Yes, I love my Angel bench too. It was a gift from my parents. It is VERY special to me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.