Let's see what you have in bloom right now: Part 4.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Continuing the thread from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/804429/ .

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

OK, I'll start:
Black Beauty from J. Amand
I just had my second mislabelled bulb from B&B. The Benfica, turned out to be Red Peacock. 2 out of 6 bulbs, that's now a 33% mislabel. Who can I trust, these days!

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Donau: another one of my surprise bulbs from B&B.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Rembrandt Van Rijn

Thumbnail by bsharf
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Oh I really like that Rembrandt, can't wait to see mine in flower! My Pink Floyd looks like it'll be my first bloomer this year.

Lovely bsharf!

RvanR is very long-lasting.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Forgot to post these. The sun on Apple Blossom. It was a mislabeled hipp but I'm very satisfied!

Thumbnail by boojum

Closer.

Thumbnail by boojum

Beautiful pix of a classic amaryllis!

Love the ruffles and you've caught that magical diamond dust to perfection.

R.

Thanks, Robert. I worked hard to get the diamond dust. The light was begging me.

Yes indeed, Apple Blossom is worth growing for the 'diamond dust' alone! Lovely photos.

Aschaffenburg, Germany

Can anybody confirm that this is a Calimero, which was suggested in the German amaryllis forum? Before anybody asks, yes I am using shredded paper to cover the top of my amaryllis in order to keep scariad fly out. This seems to work for me and I am not watering at the moment, otherwise this would turn into pulp or I would have to water from the saucer. I live in Morocco, so I have to improvise, if I was in Germany I'd probably use Seramis instead. The bulb has three stalks (?) with four blooms on each if that's of any help... It gives the impression of being a cybister, but I seem to remember that I bought it as a red lion, which it is definitely not.

Thumbnail by gofast
Aschaffenburg, Germany

With this one I am not sure either. Is it an apple blossom?

Thumbnail by gofast

Go fast, I don't know about Calimero, but I don't think that is Apple Blossom. They sure are pretty!

You'll have to keep looking for the true ID on both. :-(

The pink one isn't Apple Blossom. The color on AB is more pink-rose over white,mostly at the tips fading as it nears the tepal bases. The beard tepal (at six o'clock) usually only has a hint of color on the tip, the rest usually pure white.

Here are some more AB pix:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56447/

It might be Susan or Vera. Hard for me to tell those two apart.

The red one isn't Calimero. The color should be a darker red and Calimero doesn't have any white on the back of the tepal tips.The stems are too short and stout as well.

Here is a good pic of Calimero. The color is spot-on and the graceful form of the flowers can be seen, especially in the lower left flower: http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/files/Hippeastrum/Hippeastrum_Calimero_MW1.JPG

Can't say what it might be.

Aschaffenburg, Germany

When scrolling through the German amaryllis list, I came across one called "wonderland"...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/ManfredK/Hippeastrum/hippie004.jpg

Aschaffenburg, Germany

Can anybody name me a reliable source for a Hippeastrum fireworks and perhaps also for Japanese vendors...?

Martin

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Elvas

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

elvas close up,

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

lemon lime

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

lemon lime close up

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

'Fireworks' was sold this season at Whiteflower Farms but they are out of stock.

All the Japanese hybrids we get here in the US are through Dutch distributors. AFAIK, the two Japanese nurseries that grow and develop hybrids do not sell outside of Japan.

Here is a stock pic of 'Wonderland':
http://www.tulipworld.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=1317&eq=&Tp=

The German pic doesn't match.

R.

At last! My season has started. My Pink Floyd had opened a little while I was at work today. Can't wait to enjoy it all weekend :)

Sue

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Rembrandt Van Rijn, I think I love this one almost the most of the new ones I have seen posted this year. I must get one.

Here is a new kid for me this year, I adored it's stem color which was wine red and budding style. Now I love it's flower.
This is Chico. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here it is the day before it opened. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Nice cybister Patti!!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is another new one for me this year, 'Exotica' Lovely soft creamy melon color. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Boojum, I thought you would like my 'chico'. Here the two are hanging out on the stairs. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

I am crazy for Chico! Just an amazing work of nature's art!

I think this one is Double Record. Am I right? It came in a collection from JS & there was supposed to be one in it. It has a very short stalk. Lorine

This message was edited Feb 8, 2008 11:07 AM

Thumbnail by

A close up.

Thumbnail by
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I am smitten by 'Chico' I had to post another picture. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Fairy Tale. Very long stalk.

Thumbnail by boojum

Oh! Is that the name of those? I have lots of those. they are not blooming yet, probably next month. I have had those many years. They were my first Ammies!

Here's a better pic from last year to verify. They are relatively small flowers with wonderful green centers.

Thumbnail by boojum
Chicago, IL

San Remo is new for me this year - a really nice shade of pink.

Thumbnail by scubadoobie
Chicago, IL

I also have Red Peacock (white line not so apparent this year), but the flowers are nice and big...

Thumbnail by scubadoobie
Chicago, IL

..and Elvas. (I forgot to label some pots last year but am pretty sure about it. Seems pale, though...

Thumbnail by scubadoobie
Chicago, IL

As a comparison, this was my Elvas last year. Perhaps I am just confused, or perhaps different growing conditions lead to slight appearance changes....

Thumbnail by scubadoobie
Ewing, VA

Here's what's in bloom for me right now...

Thumbnail by mariava7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.