Hackberry climbers

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Our back yard is dominated by a very old hackberry, which isn't all that fun to look at, IMO. Has anyone ever planted a climbing rose or a flowering vine and trained it to grow up into a tree? Any problems with doing this?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

The idea is a good one. Execution will be your challenge.

When you say very old hackberry, lots of experiences and memories come flooding back. I grew up on a large property that was dominated by a grove of Celtis occidentalis, and I currently live with plenty more of them. If you are already gardening around this old codger, you know exactly what I mean. If you haven't tried working the soil there, well, you will soon know what I mean.

Hackberries live long and prosper because they are incredibly proficient and prolific at exploiting all the soil/moisture resources in their vicinity. You will need to create a planting space among the plethora of roots near this tree, plant your proposed climber, and then provide adequate resources/moisture to establish the new plant while encouraging it to make its way up the hackberry's trunk.

Other than that -- piece of cake.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL, Viburnum! I haven't tried digging anywhere near the tree, but looking at the ground around it, I can see what you mean. Maybe I'll go with a flowering vine - something that doesn't need the depth that a rose needs!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd suggest looking for a rather drought tolerant vine--if you get a thirsty vine the tree is going to suck up too much moisture and your vine will be very unhappy. And get the smallest plant you can find to start with--that way you won't have to dig as big of a hole!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

eanders2:

I was looking to coax just that much info from you before making suggestions.

Vines that I am familiar with (that tolerate hackberry competition in nature) include:

Poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans)
Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia)
Crossvine (Bignonia capreolata and clones)
Trumpet vine (Campsis radicans and clones)
Red/yellow trumpet honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens and clones)
Virgin's bower (Clematis virginiana)

These all happen to be native in our part of the world, too, and shouldn't be too tough to locate in commerce. They aren't all tremendously showy bloomers -- you have to decide that part. Some (like poison ivy) may already be volunteering to participate.

Unsolicited advice:

You might start the penetration process with a garden hose instead of a shovel and ax (or dynamite). Using a high pressure spray nozzle on a water hose, start blasting soil away from the site where you want to plant. This is non-destructive to the tree, and you can see what roots will be obstructing your way, and whether you want/need to remove any of them. Sometimes (in these situations) you will be lucky and there will a pocket between large roots or root masses where you can tuck in a one gallon container plant (or maybe even a 3G) and then just backfill. In any event, you'll be able to see "the lay of the land" before chopping, cutting, pruning, or sawing anything woody. Your back may just appreciate it, too.

You'll want to let the area dry somewhat before working in it. You may even want to have additional soil at the ready to replant with, if this is intending to be a short term project. You may be just so pleased with this process that you'll plant a plethora (OK, maybe more than one).

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Viburnum, I like the poison ivy suggestion - such a gardener-friendly plant! On the other hand, it doesn't need coaxing along.

Seriously, I was thinking the same thing about a pocket of soil between roots - surely I'll find one or two. I like your idea of water-blasting to speed up the process. I was at Lowe's yesterday, and they're selling trumpet vines. I read the comments on its invasiveness, but I have a feeling that wouldn't be the case here - hard enough to keep it going. I think I'll plant one of those and one sweet autumn clematis for the different bloom times.

Thanks for the encouragement - my hacky will be beautiful come June!

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

If sweet autumn does what it does here, you will have it everywhere. I can't kill it. I know, we are in different zones, but I would really watch sweet autumn. Wish you well.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hydrangea petiolaris comes to mind. They are very slow to establish, about 4 years, but worth the wait. Do as much soil enrichment as possible and keep it well irrigated until it starts a fierce run up the tree. Then you can coast except in circumstances of prolonged drought. I have the species and a variegated cultivar 'Firefly', both planted against ancient oaks. Very, very nice.

https://www.fieldstonegardens.com/secure/popimage.cfm?IDNUMBER=HYD065

This link is just for the purpose of reference, not a recommendation. There are a number of sources.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.