'My Monet' weigela

Danville, IN

Has anyone had any experience with the relatively new, but much hyped, weigela variety 'My Monet'? Or, is there already a discussion thread about this variety that someone could please refer me to? Thanks.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I planted three in a full sun mixed dwarf conifer and grasses border. It is very nice. It appreciates a steady supply of moisture. I don't think it would withstand any drought. Also in blasing full sun the edges of the white margins did crisp a little bit. I really like it and find it an excellent contrast plant. The flowers are nice but it's the foliage that stands out. Give it a try and consider some light afternoon shade as well as a full sun position.

Danville, IN

Thanks snapple45. It makes sense to give it a little afternoon shade. Let me know how it fared over this winter if you have a chance.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Sure will. At this point the buds still look plump.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

The buds are breaking. They are heavily budded. There was no winter dieback. They were completely unprotected. In Ohio, as in Indiana, spring freezes can still cause trouble but at this point they look great.

Danville, IN

Thanks snapple45. I think I'm going to try it this year.

Granite City, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi, Snapple! Did you mail order yours? I have been eyeing this one as well...

Thanks!

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Mine were local garden center purchases. Two from one nursery and the third from another. They were around $9-10$ each as I recall.

Danville, IN

Wow! Great prices for 'My Monet'! They were over $20 for gallon size in the Indy area.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

When I buy plants I keep the tags. I punch a hole in the tag, write the date on it that the plant went into the ground and keep the tag on a large key ring. I just looked at the tag. The plant was a Proven Winners and the size was #1 (2.72 qt/2.57 L). Definitely smaller than one gallon so your price for a gallon sounds about right.

So far the plant has lived up to its tag info of hardy to -20, Zone 5-8 full sun to partial shade. Size is supposed to be 10-12" high and 18" wide. At this point I think the tag info is justified. They went in the ground on 07/27/2007.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.