Ever safe from damping off?

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I've been really careful with my tomato and pepper seedlings, and have (so far) avoiding losing any to damping off. Most of the seedlings are between 1 and 2 inches tall, with the first true leaves beginning to show. I'm using peat pellets and I've already thinned seedlings to one per pellet. I'll be transplanting into peat pots with a lightweight mix.

So, at what point do the seedlings become more or less resistant to damping off? I've always heard about it being related to small seedlings but never really known when (if?) it becomes less of an issue.

This is a closeup of some of the pepper seedlings. The tomatoes are about the same size. Is constant vigilance necessary, or can I relax a little once I've transplanted?

Thumbnail by dreaves
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

From my experience, your seedlings are probably safely out of danger. I've never seen damping-off occcur this far along. All of my losses have occured with in the first week after germinating. Yours look to be about 2 weeks old. Paul

This message was edited Jan 31, 2008 9:15 PM

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Paul,

I'll breathe a little easier! : )

Last year I tried starting some seeds and lost all of them to damping off. Major differences were that I was using a window sill, and I didn't have bottom heat. This year I used a heat mat and a light stand. The bottom heat really accelerated the germination and initial growth. The seedlings in the picture above were actually planted 11 days ago. Sunday will be two weeks since planting.

I may become addicted to the heat mat! After I took the peppers and tomatoes off the heat, I decided to start some broccoli inside. The packet said germination in 10-21 days, but over half my seeds were up on the fourth morning after starting.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2008 3:57 PM

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

After all I heard about heat mats, I ordered one. It arrived yesterday and can't wait to try it out this weekend !!

Boca Bob

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I've seen that 10- 21 days blurb, too. If anything I've planted in the cabbage family isn't up in a week, it should be given up for dead. Paul

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, I had cabbage come up in three days. LOL I was surprised.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I have lost tomato plants to damping off after they had outgrown the cell packs (1") and been transplanted to 4 inch pots. That was before I learned about Chamomile tea. I use it as a preventative. Easy, just put a chamomile tea bag into a quart spray bottle, add water and let it stand for a few hours, then spray the plant and the soil with it. I haven't lost anything to damping off since I started doing this several years ago.

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6b)

MaryE, when do you start with the chamomile tea spray? I'm going to try starting veggie seeds inside and anything I can do for success will help.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I start spraying the soil enough to keep it damp while the seeds are germinating, and keep watering/spraying with it until I set them out into the garden. Maybe not every time, but about half the time at least. Teabags are inexpensive and a bag makes a quart. I don't know what chamomile has in it that is so good, but as long as it works I really don't need to know. I hope your efforts are successful. Let us know how it works for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.