CLOSED: Got some wood pecker shots, IDS please

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Are these two wood peckers the same but one may be younger or are they different? Sorry for some of the blur in the photos

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Another woodpecker but fuzzy looking. Sorry

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

And a dove but what kind? Looks like she/he has his eye on me LOL That little cardinal in the back ground has it's head cocked like she's wondering what's going on LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

#1 ♂ Downy Woodpecker
#2 ♂ Red-bellied Woodpecker
#3 Mourning Dove

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

oh Superb, they were 2 different wood peckers. so cool! Thanks.

I've seen the grey doves on the ground, but haven't seen that little tannish colored one . Thanks for the id's

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Even with a somewhat blurred photo, the spots on the outer tail feathers are evident. If this were a Hairy Woodpecker...no spots.

Remember-"Downys have dots"

Thumbnail by OldNed
Marlton, NJ

Hi kathy, Congratulations on the woodpeckers!

Do you have suet out for the birds?

My Downys are crazy about suet!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have a store bought one out that no one seems to like, I just ran out of the home made one I stuck out there. Will put another out tomorrow. I have a feeder out there with nuts in it for the woodpeckers. They haven't attempted it though, they like the black oil sunflower seeds in the white feeders for sure. I haven't seen them in the suet either. Not even the home made stuff.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Kathy Ann

We have the Downy Woodpecker's and they are so funny. When they are raising their young they insist upon us giving them soaked Purina Puppy Chow.

They got started several years ago eating uneaten puppy chow that we sat out in yard for whatever critters wanted it. Then they started waiting in the trees for us to put out the bowls, then they started fussing at us when there wasn't any out, flying low as we walked by so we couldn't miss them. Now they will actually come to the window beside my computer as if to say, we're waiting on you!!!

I suppose I should ask the question on this forum if the puppy chow is OK for them to feed their babies.

Judy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Boy sounds like you have some bossy woodpeckers LOL

I've only seen 3 or 4 this year. and they could be the same ones coming back and only being these two.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Let that be a warning .... they can be bossy. You know I need to take a video of them acting that way and post it on youtube lol lol

Judy

This message was edited Feb 3, 2008 4:22 AM

Marlton, NJ

Hi Kathy, I haven't seen the Red-bellieds eat suet except when they had fledglings.

Otherwise they like Sunflower Seed,Peanuts (mixed w/ SS) and the Seed Cakes.

The Downys eat the suet but the store bought type I have is a more expensive brand bought from the bird store, Almond is their favorite flavor. They also like the home made stuff. Are you hanging the suet in a tree or do you have squirrels? I have a
Hot Pepper suet (no nuts inside) in the tree that the squirrels won't touch but the Downys love!
We have a recipe for hot pepper suet in the Sticky (Helpful Guides& Tips) 2nd post , 1st recipe.

Judy, Thats a good question about the dog food. I would get the ingredient list off the bag and send it to someplace that could answer the question for you. I don't have a dog right now so I don't know the ingrdients; plus I just woke up,lol.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

It's hanging in a tree but not dangling, it's beside the tree so the woodpecker could actually walk up the tree and eat directly from the suet. I've seen a few other birds eat from it though.

Melbourne, FL

Mine eat suet every day, and I'm pretty sure they don't have young ones all the time.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Marlton, NJ

We all might have different experiences with the same bird. Mine just happen to like sunflower seeds and peanut halves.

Cascade Mtns, WA(Zone 6a)

My favorite woodpecker story... and IT'S TRUE!

I have a feeder just outside my office window.
One day I saw a very strange woodpecker ; totally black with a dash of red behind the head and some white along its wings. I looked in every book and every website and just could NOT figure out what it was!!?? I thought I had a new species or a mutation !!

Several weeks went by and I saw the bird several times, each time inspecting every detail to give me a hint.

Alas .....after a nice rainy day the culprit was exposed!
He had been working in a burned forest area so the black on his face was ASH! ;)

Thumbnail by CascadeMom
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

White-headed Woodpecker, for anyone that's wondering.

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Cascade,Thanks for sharing the pic of the White-headed Woodpecker!

Heres more info on them for anyone who's interested.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/White-headed_Woodpecker.html

Stafford County, VA

Here's a red headed that visits only when the cherries are ripe. Otherwise you have to go further into the woods to see him. Very interesting to see him pick the cherry, then fly to the nearby gum tree where he removes the cherry seed and eats the flesh.

Dave

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Marlton, NJ

He's beautiful! Your so lucky to have them nearby even if it is only when the cherries are ripe!
Very nice pic!

Brainerd, MN

Love the Woodpeckers. I did not know there was a White Headed variety. Not the most attractive I must say!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That's such a clear and vivid picture Dave, I have a shakey hand and always taking shots through the window, could never take one that perfect.

kathy

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

http://birdweb.org/birdweb/bird_details.aspx?id=276

Interesting photo of the White-headed Woodpecker. I did not know there was such a bird and it looks like it is pretty rare, so we are lucky to have a pic here on DG!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.