My Bluebirds, today

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

My sister has a few boxes, and gets Bluebirds every year, but they always lose to the swallows. Any tricks to keep them? I showed her this thread and she loves it!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you pelle,
I've hung one on my backyard (not knowing what kind of birds will it attract) for over a year. Nothing! Your info. is so important. I'd it up too high off the ground, on 2nd story level. I'll relocate the birdhouse.
Many thanks.

Marlton, NJ

I don't know of anyway to make sure only Bluebirds use the box but I'd very pleased w/ swallows. Are live mealworms being put out for the Bluebirds?

Maybe Dave would have more info for you.

Pelle

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pelle!

Hebron, KY

Dave,

Great shots! Beautiful photos of the beautiful Bluebirds! Thanks for always sharing with the rest of us! I always look forward to seeing your pics! It makes my day! ;-)

Welcome Shelly!

Marilyn

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I haven't been able to find live-wormmeal, I stopped by Super-petz once, and unfortunately they only had the frozen kind? They said they usually carry the live ones, but were out of supply.

Marlton, NJ

You can order them online too.

Heres a link to a popular site for people who host Bluebirds.
(3rd post)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/805666/

Stafford County, VA

Marylyn
I tend to forget to add more pictures. Sorry! I wonder if maybe I should start a new thread since this one is getting long.

Lily
I buy my mealworms from Sunshine in Oregon and have them shipped UPS 2nd day. They have never let me down. In the heat of the summer I have them shipped overnight. I feed a lot of birds so I get 10 thousand every 2 weeks and more when all the birds are nesting. Pretty expensive but it's really my only vice.

Dave

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

The pics of the bluebirds are so pretty.

We don't have them at our feeders - they like it wide open, don't they? I've seen them when I used to walk the football field at the high school down the road.

Keep posting!

Brenda

Stafford County, VA

Yes Brenda, they do prefer open space since they are insect feeders (crickets, grasshoppers, catapillars, etc.) But they also like trees nearby for shelter. And water too is important.

Stafford County, VA

These are from a batch I took about a year ago and have not looked at till now. I have four computers and about 10 external hard drives so its a wonder I can find anything!! These are nothing special. I have better equipment now than I did then.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Sounds like we need to hang feeders in the backyard again. We definitely have our share of insects! And we have a creek but I guess the trees are too close for comfort for them.

We also have redtail hawks so that is definitely a deterrent for little birds.

Brenda

Stafford County, VA

We have a couple of Coopers Hawks that visit regularly, but I don't think they have gotten a bluebird. The birds have a great communication system when a hawk is in the area.

Stafford County, VA

Here;s another old one. I seem to have been shooting a lot of the female that day.

Stafford County, VA

OK Here's one from just a few minutes ago, and it's the male.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

The male is beautiful. Keep 'em coming, Dave

Martha

Marlton, NJ

They are beautiful!

You might want to consider starting a new thread pretty soon as this one will start being hard for dialup users to view.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.