My Bluebirds, today

Stafford County, VA

OK, the third one must have gone into space. Here it is, out of sequence.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Cascade Mtns, WA(Zone 6a)

Dave
For those of us who can only HOPE to have a bluebird in our yard....
THANKS for the great pictures.

What a treat.

Stafford County, VA

You're very welcome. My greatest satisfaction is sharing with others who love the little critters as I do. I'm going through some shots from last summer that I had not looked at until Marilyn mentioned babies and fledglings.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2008 10:47 PM

Stafford County, VA

Here's the companion picture.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Dave, are there different "bluebird" in different regions. Here I saw which was identified as Eastern Bluebird, are these the same? I saw more of those today in the backyard. I'm so thrilled with the discovery.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Stafford County, VA

Yes, there are three varieties: Eastern, Western and Mountain. Your picture is of an Eastern bluebird. I think it is a male, but I can't be certain.

Dave

Stafford County, VA

Here is the Mama getting another mealworm. I used the clear dish so I could see the bird's head, inside the dish.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Dave, DH was so fascinated with your photography when I showed him your posting. Thanks again.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Great shots...love them!! Those mad shots crack me up! I don't think it qualifies as a "Bluebird of Happiness" tho. lol

Stafford County, VA

I rather like this one of a juvenile leaving the cage feeder.

Stafford County, VA

A little action sequence for you from earlier today.

These days my bluebirds are defending "their" nestbox, against all who would even think about contesting their claim. That includes house sparrows and starlings, especially.

I started shooting these images when I saw a starling headed toward the box.

Before the starling could even land on the box, the female bluebird appeared and an aeiral dogfight ensued. The movement was fast, and I only got off these four shots before it was over, so you'll have to use some imagination. The bottom line was that when the male bluebird arrived to help, the starling withdrew.

The male bluebird had been snacking at the mealworm feeder. Notice that he still has a mealworm in his mouth.

Dave

Stafford County, VA

#2 For some reason I'm having a hard time getting this to launch. This has been my fourth try. Hope they all don't suddenly show up.

Stafford County, VA

#3 I guess I need to write more than the number?

Stafford County, VA

#4 This is the last one before the starling departed.

Stafford County, VA

Here, they briefly relax at "their" private watering hole, which until yesterday has been frozen solid.

Marlton, NJ

Wonderful series Dave!

Thats so funny the male kept the worm in his mouth. :-)

Thanks for posting these!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Dave,
DH and I are so happy to see those posting! Wow!
Kim

Stafford County, VA

Thanks. Just for variety, here is a juvenile about 70 days old. I like the way the wind blows his feathers and make them stand out against the dark background.

Stafford County, VA

And a good one of his mama in flight.

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful Dave! I love the way you can see each individual feather!

The Mama is so lovely!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Breath taken photography and subjects!!! I'm glued onto my seat!
Kim

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Very impressive photography. Those bluebirds are quite something.

Stafford County, VA

Thanks everyone. I'm going through some I took back in September.

Here is one of the male coming in to light on a perch.

Stafford County, VA

And just for contrast, here he is leaving the sundial.

Marlton, NJ

Great photos Dave!

How many houses do you have up?

Stafford County, VA

Just one. We have a small lot and only room enough for one.

Stafford County, VA

One final shot of Mama.

I love the backlit effect on this one.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Perfect landing! How I love to watch your bluebirds!
Kim

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pic Dave!

Hebron, KY

Dave,

Thank you for posting the pics of the babies, fledglings and juvies (besides the parents)! They're so cute and adorable! I love them all! Wonderful and fantastic shots and photos! Keep posting the Bluebirds!

I just love them! So happy for you that you have them! Thanks for sharing them with all of us!

Marilyn

Stafford County, VA

Marylyn

I am glad you enjoy the pictures. It won't be long until the blues begin nesting and I will again have the opportunity to document their cycle of life.

It's been warm here the past several days and although its too early, they are thinking about nesting. I saw the male fly down to the ground several times today and pick up a few blades of dead grass and fly into the nestbox with it.

I took more than a thousand pictures today. I haven't looked through them yet but if there is anything interesting, I will post it.

Here's a shot of the female as she leaves the box.

Dave

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous!

Stafford County, VA

Here they are at the heated birdbath.

Stafford County, VA

This is another frequent visitor to the mealworm feeder. I love watching him sticking his head into the cage feeder and using his long tongue to stab the worms. This shot was taken as he was getting set to leave.

Hebron, KY

Dave,

More wonderful photos! ;-)

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

Dave,

Fantastic shot and pic of the male Red Bellied Woodpecker!

Marilyn

Stafford County, VA

Another visitor. For some reason we have had about a hundred of the robins in the yard the past several days. These guys are like the mockingbird, they eat lots of worms.

Bella Vista, AR(Zone 6b)

I love how the red bellied woodpecker's head is almost a neon orange. It is so bright on these gloomy winter days.

Stafford County, VA

OK Back to bluebirds.

Stafford County, VA

Here's one of the young male being bumped off the perch by its mother. This was taken in the rain. If you look carefully you may see the raindrops on his chest.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.