controlling trot after cantering

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm new here and I ride dressage on a 10 yo tb gelding in canton, ga. I started riding as an adult and bought my horse 2 years later and its been 2 years since then. He is a well trained but sensitive horse, easily feeds off of my nerves. anyhow, for a while I was doing too little cantering. He had some pain issues and every canter degeneraged into a buck or a bolt. The pain is fixed and we are both a little anxious when it comes to the canter. for the last few days I have been pushing my self to canter more and more, and this has been good for both of us.

here is the problem. I have trouble controlling the pace of his trot after we canter. he will race at the trot and try to break into canter - and of course this makes me nervous and that makes him nervous. I will then do trot walk trot transitions, and that brings him back somewhat. I also figured out that if I squeeze both thighs, he slows quite a bit. Half halts at this point seem to piss him off - I may lack coordination at this point because of his racing. How do all of you controll speed within a gait? any advice how to improve this?

Thanks, Harriet

This thread has 15 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!