Water and cannas, do they really mix?

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Hello all you canna experts!
I have a small 2 tied pond(when we finish the 2nd tier) and have been told canna could be grown in it. I bought a water garden collection at a box store and it had canna in it so I put it in the pond. It just kinda sat there. It didn't bloom or really grow. It didn't rot, but tuber was still small and I doubt it will do much after storage this year. I did buy it on the "reduced" section, so maybe thats why it didn't perform. It was small and dry, but firm so it did sprout. Whats the verdict? I just ordered canna in a co-op and of course bought too many and thought about the pond idea again.
THANKS!
George

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Do you know the name of the canna? There are aquatic cannas which are....aquatic, and those are best for a pond. It might not have gotten enough time to get big enough to flower?

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey tropic!
This is the list.
52-OKLA - Miss Oklahoma
53-COLE - Rosemond Cole
56-WYO - Wyoming
54-BK - Black Knight
59-STADT - Stadt Feltbach
62-YKH - Yellow King Humbert
63-CB - Crimson Beauty
65-OB - Orange Beauty
64-RKH - Red King Humbert
79-TROP - Tropical Sunrise
70-DAWN - Dawn Pink
69-JE - Journey's End
85-SW - Scarlet Wave
76-LEN - Lenape
81-TAN - Tangelo
66-CLEO - Cleopatra
72-PRE - Pretoria
red president
lucifer
Thanks
George

==================

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

And dont forget the stuggart canna which grows in water as well...

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

daylilydaddy, do you know what kind of canna you had that didn't do well in your pond? Karchesky has their aquatic cannas listed in a separate category which might help with good ideas for the pond. Stuttgart would be a good choice, particularly if you have kind of a shady spot

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

ooops sorry about that mispelling on stuttgart..

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

i didn't even catch it..lol

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

lol

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've this pink Canna, the pot is non-draining pot. I used ordinary soil to plant these, and during the summer months I keep the water barely an inch above the soil line. Occassional balanced fertilizer. In the winter I turn the 'urn' upside down to drain all water and force the tubers to dormancy. It worked well in past years, and bloomed continuously.

Cannas are vigorous grower (in my experience), but they do require lot of sunshine to produce adequate flowers. Nutrient toos (inorganic matters), I don't believe my cannas would do well in my SHADY pond where there is not enough nutrients that the plant can draw from just clear water (unless it's a natural -- and NOT lined or preformed ponds) to really grow and thrive.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Lily, have you ever tried stuttgart? The white patches totally burn in the sun, but I think it wold be perfect for a shady pond. I actually use fertilizer spikes for my lil dinky water tubs (in the garden it's mostly organic). My stuttgart was in pretty good shade and it still burned up. we had a drought and I know that contributed, but it was my 2nd try with them. I think I will try a tub in a shadier spot, if just for the darn stuttgart :)

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Good Morning All !!!!
Tropicanna may I ask where you got your Stuttgart..I have the perfect spot.
:) Kim

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

KIm, I actually got mine from a trade I think? They are a little expensive when you buy them, but sometimes you can find them on ebay

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I've yet tried Stuttgartt, I've the red cannas (the president), those too, if I placed my pot in the shade, they seldomly bloomed for me. I've various kinds of cannas, non-ever foliar burn under our harsh summer sun, under drought condition, those that are planted in the garden, and lack of sun, they just remain dwarf-like, and won't flower as much.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

lol...you know, I never even thought about the stuttgart actually blooming! mine have never even gotten close..teehee

definitely right though, nearly all cannas do like the full sun (I hear pink sunburst is picky too). Have you also found that in really, really dry spots they're dwarfed, too?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sorry, I don't know pink sunburst. Looking at plants to buy, we need to learn of whether it's shade or sun's loving, standing water's tolerance or not, in this case, cannas can tolerate standing water, thus is suitable for bog-planting. Pertaining to the original question about cannas. I've just the above info. to share. :-)
Happy gardening everyone, bye for now.
Kim

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Kim,

I like the little guy in the picture with your pink canna he is so cute........lol I have 2 jack russells they are good company

Thumbnail by pensacolagarden
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Pensa,
That they're good company. :-)
Kim

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes indeed i love my 2 little guys..........lol

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey tropic
It didn't have a label. It just said yellow dwarf. It doesn't sound like any of my new canna would work for the pond. I had lost all of mine when I had bypass and couldn't lift them in the fall. I don't want to take a chance of losing these new ones. The 2-3 I have now in storage I bought pre-potted at a box store. I could not wait to see some this year, so I know I do have some great places for them.
Geo

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Geo, I don't know that those new cannas you ordered wouldn't work necessarily, I usually see people use the aquatic ones though.

But maybe Lily has tried some of those in her pond and can tell you? I know there are lots of other folks with more experience than me to weigh in

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Geo.....I wonder, was the pond new and did you fertilize the canna? At least a well seasoned pond would have nutrients in the water but a new one won't. Even still, it needs to be fertilized.

You need to start your cannas outside of the pond and get them going good before adding them to the pond. Once they are growing good, they have a good enough root system to be added to the pond. What sort of canna you have will tell you about how deep you can go, if your canna is an "aquatic" canna it can go fairly deep, if it is not you will get the best performance by having the potting media at or above water level, or if it's not in a pot then the rhizomes at or near the surface of the water.

In your zone with your short growing season, I think you will not have as good performance in a pond as you will in a sunny spot in the ground.

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Thank you all for the great advise. I think I will play it safe and just plant them the regular way and look for the aquatic type and maybe snag one of those to try.
THANKS!
George

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Daylilydaddy, I don't know if you've already planted your canna yet, but I had the same question last year. Somebody told me to plant them in ordinary nursery pots and keep them out of the pond until they had grown enough that they could be put in the water still have leaves sticking up above the water. I don't think I planted aquatic canna, but they did fine. I had Maudie Malcolm and Richard Wallace. Except they didn't bloom much, probably because I didn't fertilize them. If you're using the tablets, you need to put them in the pot when you plant the canna. It's really hard to get it in there if you wait. I had Maudie Malcolm and Richard Wallace.

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Thank you silver!
I am getting canna from co-op 0n here and get them in April. I think I am going to skip putting them in water and try to find some other things to put in there. It is 2 tiered and small and has a dwarf water lily in there and I am looking for some other smaller things to round it out.
George

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Yea, canna wouldn't be small usually.:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.