Hellebores in HOT climates

Phuket, Thailand(Zone 11)

Still hoping someone might respond to this query. Is there any possibility of growing Helleborus orientalis (aka H. hybridus) here in Thailand? I would love to try them again, as they are one of my favourite herbaceous perennials, and I grew them very successfully in Scotland, but what are the chances of getting them to flower here in Phuket?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Farang - Having no idea of your weather, it is very hard to say. But as long as you have plenty of shade I can't think of any reason not to try. Since you are familiar with growing them, you obviously know what they need, and Lenten Roses are worth any little extra effort you may have to show them.

Good Luck!

I grow them in heavy shade here ...it gets pretty hot and humid in Summer ...they have multiplied so I think they are worth a try.
good luck :)
chrissy

Independence, LA(Zone 8b)

They also grow well on the southern coast here, very hot and humid in Louisiana. Heavy shade also, great for flowers in the winter.

Phuket, Thailand(Zone 11)

Well, I have sown some seed, so will wait a few months and see what develops.

Do other gardeners in hot and sticky climates have a problem with mildew on Hellebores, as this was fairly common in Scotland?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Never had that problem with Hellebores, but with other things a squirt of hydrogen peroxide, or a topping of corn meal has done the trick for me.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Great information!!!!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Farang,

I know nothing about Hellebores except that we had them in the garden in England. I just wanted to pop in an say Welcome!

Jen

london England, United Kingdom

Welcome Farang!
I have some Hellebores growing her in London, I haven't experienced the mildew problem with them.
Good luck with yours and happy gardening!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.