mystery Amaryllis #2

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

This is my first mislabelled bulb from Brent and Becky's Bulbs. The label said Grand Cru, which is a large Red Standard. This bulb is large, and the scapes are tall like a standard, but the flower is definately a miniature (4 1/2 in diameter) . Under house light it looks carmine red (like Amigo), in sunlight it takes on a rose tint. I can't find anything on the Dutch websites which is a good match. Come on folks, help me out here. Its very pretty, and I've love to put a name on this one.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

here's a photo of the back and the buds.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Take a look at this 'Donau':
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/ty_003/IMG_2781ax.jpg

The color varies quite a bit on Donau. The stronger the light it gets, the deeper and redder it becomes. Descriptions vary as well--from deep pink to deep rose-red, etc. due I think to its inherent variability and the particular eye of the beholder and the words they use to describe what they see.

The shape seems to match your flower and especially worth a ponder is the light stripe down the petals (inner three tepals at 2, 4 and 10 o'clock). I see that yours has these starting to show in the left-hand flower.

Another thing: IS the foliage to the right on your plant? If so, that matches with Donau's way if stating up--up to 9 mature or very well-along leaves when it flowers.

The scapes tend to be *very* tall: around 24" under very strong light, but 30" and more under lower "in-home" available light.

Maybe Donau?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Raydio: thanks for the ID and the link to the lovely photo. My plant matches the photo, and especially your description: It has 6 nice fleshy leaves. Donau is a winner. This is only the 1st mislabeled bulb that I've gotten from B&B, so they are forgiven (this time). My M&Z order is now up to 8 mislabeled bulbs out of 18: Its getting to be a joke.
Since my pretty little Amaryllis now has a name, could everyone please take another look at my other nameless Amaryllis. She'd also like to have a name.

Thumbnail by bsharf

I saw this on in the other thread, and I say no to both Minerva and Piquant.

Still looking at possibilities.

Is this from M&Z too?

Could you make another pic now that it has grown a bit more from the first pic?

Wondering of it flattens out or satys cupped.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2008 6:16 PM

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

This was taken today. A few leaves are just poking through. One scape 14" tall, with 4 open flowers. I can't blame M & Z for this one. This was from NGA.

Thumbnail by bsharf

I've had it with NGA! I'm going to be giving a negative rating for the problems I have had for two seasons trying to get 'Salmon Pearl' and the poor customer service I encountered. I did get a quick refund on my last attempt.

So I guess it stays cupped..that's unusual.

There are so many red-and-white hybrids to choose from...

I thought for awhile it might be the seldom-seen 'Vlammenspel', but have pretty much discounted that one.

I'll keep looking.

R.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

The 6" flower definately stays cupped. How about Star of Holland? I can't tell from NGA's website, what it actually looks like.

I have one like yours. Its been a mystery for some time. I've been referring to it as "The Raspberry Amaryllis". Here's the photo.

Great detective work! :-)

This message was edited Jan 30, 2008 12:59 PM

Thumbnail by

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.