Itea virginica Little Henry ??

Mesilla Park, NM

Has anyone grown these in containers? I've got a couple from last year that are in 5 gallon pots. I mean't to put them into the ground but there was alot of work going on around the yard as far as hardscape, so they are still in containers. Now I have a spot for them.

Should I wait to plant them in Spring? The photos on the pot show them as container plants, but from doing a search here, it looks like you all have had them in the ground. I guess my question is ::: is there anyone here that has had success with them as container plants and is it even worth it to try?

Thank you for reading this.

A.

Danville, IN

I've never seen them kept in containers, but they are tough. However, they really like to spread by runners (not invasive) so they would probably get pot-bound in just a year or two.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

It's a great little plant - I have a number of them, but in the ground. Great flowers and spectacular fall color. Much more behaved than other varieties. I have the taller 'Saturnalia' which suckers a lot. I have not seen any spreading yet on my LH's.

Mesilla Park, NM

Thank you both so much, I'll be putting them into the ground come Spring. It's good to know that it isn't invasive also. We have several summer pine trees and I plan to put them under those. We have the bird feeder there and I thought it would make nice brush for them too.

Danville, IN

Any of the iteas make nice "thickets" of foliage. Butterflies LOVE the blooms (they bloom at a time when little else does), and the fall color is super. Some autumns, they look like polished patent leather. In your climate, they might even be somewhat evergreen.They do like moisture. Natively, they are found in wet locations, but once established, they are drought tolerant. You will enjoy this plant.

Mesilla Park, NM

I am hoping that I find different colors. This year they did not retain any of their leaves, but you can see the color reddish on the stems. Thank you for the information too. I am so anxious for Spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.