advice for greenhouse stand

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I bought this

http://www.tmseeds.com/product/m2086.html

never had one before.... any dos and don't advice

last year I was running the seedlings in and out for a few weeks hardening off.... hope this helps my running

Thumbnail by onewish1
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Try this person, Allison. Looks like she must have one year under her belt with it.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/680049/#post_3025801

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Don't leave it out untied if you are expecting high winds. Came home to find mine dumped over the deck after a storm. I now use bungy-cords to tie it to the deck rails. Also, I cooked my plants one day by not unzipping and letting enough of the cool air to get in. It got up to 80 something degree's and it was only April! How was I to know we'd get a heat wave in the middle of April?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

as I was looking at the picture it looks a bit flimsy .... I can tie them to my deck rail also... ok mental note.. TRY not to cook the seedlings

:)

thanks for the advice guys

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Allison, I got that one last year. I kept it under a tree next to the fence so I didn't have any "blow overs" The tree wasn't leafed out yet but provided just enough shade so I didn't cook the seedlings when I forgot to unzip.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

that one does seem nice Meredith..... thank you

Venu I also have a few good spots to try my deck has gradual sunny spots.... the spot closest to my paito door only gets morning sun... and the further I move away from that side the more sun they can get... I have a feeling it's going to be moving over little by little might be best... and that spot is the easiest for me to make sure they have enough water before I go to work... I remember last year because I used the newspaper pots they dried up pretty quick... good news is that my honey works nights... and usually gets up around noon.... I can always have him unzip or remove the cover if need be.. he doesn't mind lending a hand with these things... just because he knows how much they mean to me... funny how someone not really into the whole gardening thing enjoys watching the babies grow... last year he took it upon himself to give a few that looked kind of dry some water... I was shocked

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

My DH does the same things, he really didn't care one way or another about gardening, but now enjoys the garden along with the hummers and butterflies.
I've been thinking about doing a greenhouse stand for the last couple years too, so hope yours works out well.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Your picture is greatI can't wait to have a bunch of plants growing like that. I'm impressed with all the flowers-I have yet to get any seedlings to bloom before planting them out.
I want to put the rack right outside my garage because that's where I have my seedlings grow. Then instead of walking across the yard (Over & Over) to the only shade-y spot- I could just pop em in there. I have a hose right there too. I am also wondering how to go about hardening them off in there. I was thinking it would be good to start with both on (but I don't know if that is possible.)

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Ahhh, your guy is a bit better than mine. If I asked him to unzip, it wouldn't be the greenhouse that would immediately come to mind for him. Actually he would not have a clue what I was talking about. But he is just like your guy, not into gardening but enjoys the end results. I tried to get him to read Victors "man's gardening" article because I found it so very funny. He looked at me like I had three heads. So I shrug my shoulders and say, I'm having a ton of fun while you're sitting on the couch. Why am i really, really happy and he's just satisfied?????Sillly men

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I can't answer that Meredith... but it seems logical to use both at first ... maybe take the shade off for a few hours of sun.. but not sure

too funny venu... but sounds familiar

Proper ventilation - just like a large GH. If it was mine I would have a small fan on standby. You would have to unzip or maybe not depending on the temperature. Even with a shade cloth ventilation plays an important roll. I can't spell temp.................. grrrrrrrrr

Last year with my big GH - it could be 50 degrees out. I got the shade cover and with out fans - Some of you can remember how I murdered many flats.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2008 11:27 AM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I DO remember it quite well!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes, we thought we lost you for a while!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

well that's good advice.... and another I just thought of... don't put all my eggs in one basket (just in case)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.