Think Spring! Tea Party SWAP Thread, continued

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I would love to try that banana, but am not sure where I'd put them. Have to think about that. DH is going to have such a good time playing with the tiller..........LOL

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

As my two year-old would say "Yeah yeah Yeah yeah Yeah." When I get home from work I am on my way to pick up a TON of POTS from a landscaper who has been saving them for 2 years!!! Yeah yeah Yeah yeah YEAH. they are FREE.. LOL

just wanted to share..

WOOHOO, way to score, Jenn!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yippeee -- good score, Jenn!

Depending on what Debbie can fit into her car, I'm hoping for "dibs" on maybe 100 trade gallon and 100 or so 4 inch pots... and I'll take any leftovers that other folks don't want, also. You wouldn't believe how many pots I can go through. Then again, some of you have seen my deck & patio, with all the seedlings...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

If there are any huge pots left over after the scavaging, I'd be thrilled!

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I am off to get them.. I will yell at what I get when I get back!

HUGS

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

:-) I'm only calling "dibs" on some of Debbie's pots because I'm figuring she wanted episcia stolons and seeds, maybe even a banana pup... but I didn't mean that post to sound so greedy! I think she's got lots, though. And any big pots that she can come up with, we'll split up... seems like everybody can use big pots!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Ahem guys - if anyone has houseplant babies to share I'd love some - Gita - may I have another "onion" - Thor the thunderkitty ate the last one a couple of days ago - he decided it was a mouse :-)

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Okay

I do not even know how many pots I have. My hubby will take a picture tomorrow.. I drive a small car. You could not get another pot in there to save your life. There is NO way I can use all of them. I am not sure how I am going to get a rain barrel and pots to Jill's but I will try. I do not even know the sizes, but I know a ton are what you move the seedlings too..

I am in overload right now... LOL

I will try to figure it out and share. The guy was really nice.. He was saving them for a greenhouse but they are leaving the business.

If I can get him to take a picture tonight I will show you all

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Will pots fit inside my rain barrel? If the rain barrel is a problem, leave it behind. Maybe I can persuade you to come up another time... will the rain barrel fit if you bring the girls up for a play date? :-)

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh the rain barrel has a top. I am going to take out my car seats. I have my trunk also. It should work, as long as I do not have to change lanes!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I thought the top got cut off at some point... guess I don't know why I thought that! Seriously, don't use up all your space for the rain barrel.

Aha! I checked the how to make a rain barrel article... the first step is to cut the top off. Jenn, maybe your DH would consider doing that first step on our rain barrels (yours and mine) before the swap, and then you could load up the barrel with the extra pots? We could bribe him with a plate of party goodies... just don't tell him everybody is bringing leftover goodies home as a matter of course, LOL.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Pots...

Thumbnail by JennGroves
Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

more pots

Thumbnail by JennGroves
Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

and more pots

Thumbnail by JennGroves
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

*swoon*

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Bec,

Do you mean you want some more of the baby pregnant onions or did I give you a potted, adult onion--now deceased?

I can always give you more rooted baby onions. I do not have any larger onions potted up at this time. The 18" window box I have that is filled with these "onions" is really full, but I have to look and see if i can separate anything off of them at this time. Basically--there are 2 pretty large onions proliferating in there. Piles of babies......Will have to see if there is an actual onion by itself I could chisel out of the root mass and pot it up for you.

This "onion" is a member of the Hyacinth family. NOT a real onion at all. How come the cat ate it???? How come he did not get sick from it???? I thought that these "bulbs" were toxic! How come you LET HIM??????? AASAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!
Booooo---Hooooo----

Haaa..haaaa....Reading all the previous posts, I think many of us will be totally "potted" by the time we leave! Sorry--could not resist this comment.....

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I am guessing that Thor maybe did not so much eat the Pregnant onion as "play" it to death... although Eliot did spit up the remnants of a (fortunately not toxic) spider plant dangler the other day that I guess tickled his tummy after he crunched it down... he does know the words "NO PLANT!" and I do keep the philodendron out of his reach...

Anyway, Becky, there are some babies forming around the big one that Gita gave me that might be easier to separate, and you're welcome to them. There's a larger one in there also that I'm guessing must be forming its own bulb. If Gita brings one for Becky, anybody else is welcome to rummage in this pot for the babies... :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

By the way, I'm finishing up bagging & tagging my basils and some others tonight. I won't do a general SASBE offer until after the swap, but I'll start offering seeds to people soon... so if there are seeds that you want on my list, please do speak up for them!

(Shirley, I think the seeds that I had listed previously as burgundy scabiosa are actually Knautia... I've got your name on a pack of them.)

So far, the following people have mentioned seeds to me, other than the split orders from Parks... who did I miss?

Miata -- Italian Basil, and I figure she might want Sicilian Basil also. Torenia (mix).

Shirley -- not sure what basils you wanted... any/all? also Knautia macedonia

Chantell -- Purple Basil

Ruby -- Purple Cleome

Cat -- Alpine Strawberry

Jenn -- I'm putting together an assortment of purple and orange ones for you

Happy -- compact basils,

Becky -- all basils, will snitch spiders and other cuttings

Finally, for anybody who wants 'Carmen', 'Gypsy', or 'Bounty' hybrid pepper seeds from my TGS order, please remind me which ones and how many... Between Dmails and posts on several threads, I'm afraid I may have lost some requests. "Sampler packs" will be $1 (9 seeds of 'Carmen', 10 of 'Bounty', 12 of 'Gypsy'). Even if you didn't mention it before I placed the order, there's probably enough 'Gypsy' and 'Bounty' to go around, but there may or may not be any extra 'Carmen'.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2008 1:11 AM

This message was edited Feb 16, 2008 11:34 AM

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill

I think I get a sampler back.. lol I do not remember.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's what I'm talking about, Jenn... I know you wanted 'Gypsy', you might have wanted 'Carmen', I don't know if you ever said either way about 'Bounty', and I don't think you said how many seeds, but I was assuming around 10 of each would do for "trying out" a variety. And I can't find where we talked about peppers!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, hey Jenn... You've got Petunia seeds in the seeds that just came from Park's... I'm sowing petunias tomorrow... Do you want me to sow yours for you and put them on my seedling heat mat? They like a warm start.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Ah - no, Thor did not eat it - just used it for batting practice - I managed to get it from him before he actually stated chomping on it :-) You gave me a tiny little cute one in a mini-pot :-) A new one would be welcome - and Jill, if I can steal some more spiderplants from you that would be great - actually - I plan on sneaking around with scissors, stealing cuttings from your indoor plants :-) (I'll even bring my own zip lock bags for the stolen cuttings!!)

AND - I am hereby begging everyone for herbs & any climbing vine seeds :)

Since I have no seeds for swapping I'll bring extra goodies from the British store :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Spiderplants, I've got! Green and variegated, both... and since you're such a sweetie, you can have a little "curly spider" baby, too, but please let me snip that one because it doesn't grow as wildly as the others. The big pot of wandering jew is down to the floor again, but it needs to be cut back at least 3 feet (purple, green, and green/white). There's also loads of Swedish Ivy & other goodies. I can put your name on a big packet of mixed morning glory and also "Scarlet Star Glory" seed if you'd like, and you can go outside and clip yourself some clematis cuttings or seeds!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Most excellent - you truly are the hostess with mostest :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I almost clipped back some of the hanging baskets last week, but thought folks might want the cuttings... if I have time, I'll clip and root, but I like your "DIY" approach with scissors and baggies (I've got baggies, too).

Becky, which of the basils do you want? "All" is a fine answer... heaven knows, I have this "need" to grow a dozen varieties each year!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

:) ALL is perfect :-)

I can do any rooting myself - I don't wanna make extra work for ya - hence my sleuthing around looking for cuttings I could "steal" :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Bec_No_Va, I have some Arrow Vine that I'm in the process of rooting that I was planing on bringing , some Christmas Cactus and starters from my Jade tree. I also have several varieties of morning glories.
Here is a list of my MG with links to pictures.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4448110
Looks like I may have Ornamental Sweet Potatoes, too. My Blackies are starting to grow.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

"Oh, hey Jenn... You've got Petunia seeds in the seeds that just came from Park's... I'm sowing petunias tomorrow... Do you want me to sow yours for you and put them on my seedling heat mat? They like a warm start. "

Jill I will steal some of the odd basil. I have sweet basil seeds..

Please Jill if you do not mind start teh petunias.

I think my DH is going to get me a heating mat for V-day. LMAO!

This message was edited Feb 5, 2008 10:58 AM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill - if you also have enough of the Thai Basil 'Siam Queen' I'd be interested. As for the banana plant...I've got to take a look at her...hard to get to behind all the plumies in the living room. I don't think the pup(s) are very big but I'll see if I can take a peek. Need to find that article of yours and reread it.
As for the pregnant onion - mine (that I got from Gita) might have babies as well if someone wants me to bring them with me.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've got about a dozen packs of all the basils I listed (and many more of some)... so there should be enough to go around, but that's why I'm asking folks to get their dibs in before I start sending packs out elsewhere.

BTW, I know when Becky says "all" it's because she really wants to try all the varieties. And I'm happy to share all the basils with anybody else who wants to explore them! But if you know you won't grow out a small leafed, compact form, then let somebody else have 'Minette' for their windowboxes. I'm only mentioning this because I sent my seed list to somebody one year who was starting out, offering her a selection for SASBE, and she said, oh, I can't decide -- please just send me one of everything! No, that's not quite how it works, LOL. But don't feel there's a limit to how many seeds you can ask me for... as long as they are seeds you think you'll try, you are more than welcome to them! :-)

OK, Jenn, so I'll put the petunia seeds on my heat mat and get them started, then you can take them home with you to transplant down the line. Which of the "odd" basils did you want? I know the girls need the lemon & lime ones, and you need to try Thai and Cinnamon, and of course I think everybody must try my favorite Italian basil!

LOL... having written the above, I'm going to do my best to talk everybody into trying as many basils as possible, I can see that now! :-)

I'd be delighted with any basil or other herbs anyone is willing to share. :)

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I have Cinnamon, Purple Ruffle, and Sweet... I can share any of those with anyone.. I have Common Thyme and Oregano too.. I have a bad habit of picking up herb packets when I pass them. I have no clue what I will pick-up before the end of February

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

I don't have any seeds to share, but I can bring rooted coleus cuttings that I am raising. I was invited to your little soiree just recently. Can't believe I missed this forum all the time I've been on Dave's! I live really close to Critter geographically and I'd love to get to know some other people in the region. I usually hang out over on the Coleus Forum and that is really my area of expertise. I'd love to share some of my babies though if anyone is interested

Looking forward to it,
Juanita

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ha! I just posted to ask Juanita to hop over to the swap thread, and she's already here... ain't no flies on her, as my uncle would say! (don't be offended, Juanita, he'd mean you were a sharp one!)

My mom has redwood-stained planter boxes on her back porch, and there are some colors of coleus that just look really striking against that tone... I'd love a cutting or two for her... I'm starting some polka dot plants (mostly white, a few red and pink) and torenia to keep them company. I've also managed to lose the trailing coleus that I've overwintered the past several years... they were even sun tolerant!... so anything you might have along those lines would be really welcome.

Here's a photo of the colors of trailing coleus that I had... I miss them! Burgundy with a green edge, burgundy with a pink-flamed center, and a scalloped green and burgundy one.

Thumbnail by critterologist

Those are lovely. I had 2 nice Black Dragon coleus and lost them both to frost. Didn't get them in the house in time. Bummer. I think they are so pretty and add just an interest to a border.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

critter- I have a stem of that scalloped one

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

:-) I tried to spread cuttings around in the hopes that somebody would have them if I lost them... Sally, if I could get a cuttings from your stem at some point, I'd sure appreciate it! :-) I've been hunting in all my hanging baskets, thinking maybe I just overlooked one somewhere... LOL

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill, my mom is going to come to this if that is okay... Hopefully I can get her to join Dave's. She has a green thumb!

I am so happy she is coming out.. As Kendall (my two-year old says) yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

This message was edited Feb 8, 2008 7:30 AM

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Is coleus hard to grow from seed? (I do not want to highjack this thread)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.