Aussie Deer Damage

Yoakum, TX

Looking for plants in Australia that deer eat that would grow in Texas. Would like to to obtain seeds or rooted cuttings. Would like info what Sambar and fallow eat. Also, info on what plants are damaged frequently and severely. I live in Texas zone 8b. Plants would have to be able to sustain temperatures down to 10-15F. Deer here prefer the Legume and Acacia family. Any information on those typles of shrubs, trees or bush type plants is greatly appreciated.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I don't know that there are many deer in Australia that are wild. I have seen a pair grazing by the highway about 2 hours from here, but believe they are escapees form the Zoo.
Sorry i can't help, but someone else may have some ideas.
Sue

Yes sorry ...I haven't a clue, there was a fad to farm them for meat a while back ...but that seemed to fizzle out.From what I have read from the forums they eat just about anything ...one dear lady in Scotland said they practically eat her trees to death (rearing up onto their hind legs to reach lower branches).I think our She oaks are ok for fodder and I believe they are almost a weed in Texas now ...perhaps that is worth a try.
Good luck :)

Melbourne outer east, Australia

Any that have gone ferral are up in the high country and resevoir reserves. Seems to me they eat anything as bad as goats on the flora. I think there is also problem for "normal" gardener to send plant material or is that only incoming.

Gecki

Yoakum, TX

Oaks are very common in texas. Deer here are abundant and mainly survive on acorns, corn and forbs including legume type plants. The eat the foilage and berries off several trees here that look like your waddle trees. This includes texas kidneywood, lead tree, mimosa. Just trying to get an idea what they eat there to plant here. Some trees as texas kidneywood have alomost 20% crude protein.

Melbourne outer east, Australia

Accacia (Wattle) would be ok I would think just make sure they are not the sort that might be a run away problem in your environment.
http://www.anbg.gov.au/acacia/

There is another thing that is grown here white small sprays of flowers. It belongs to the legume family. It is a large weeping (if let go) bush to small tree. It can be regularly eaten down or harvested. Friend does this for goats in a fairly dry area in a temperate maritime climat. It also grows well down my paddock which is about 800 ft above sea level. (rain but hot summers) It looks like a Broom

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/vro/vrosite.nsf/pages/weeds_shrubs_english_broom

I will try to locate name for you.

gecki

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.