Identify Caltawpa seed?

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

I found some seeds under the caltawpa tree here at my work.  But I am wondering if these are truly catawpa tree seeds.  From what I understand from my researh that the seeds are flat and paper like.  But these seeds are about the size of  peanut and are fuzzy to the touch. Could this be the seeds after they have germinated?. Can someone give me an idea what a catawpa tree seeds look like after they have germianted. I just dont know what else this seed could be. I have already planted the seeds in some pots in the garage hopeing they will sprout for me. I am going to get a growing light for them tomorrow. I planted a seedling last year from this tree last year ane it grew about two feet before the summer was over.

Would appreciate any help on this.

Sami

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a picture of Catalpa seeds http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/9450/ If yours are fuzzy and the size of a peanut, then they're definitely not Catalpa. If you post a picture of them someone may recognize what they are.

Thanks ecrane3 I will post a picture of them tomorrow. It does not look like anything like you posted. You can find these all under that tree though. I will also take a picture of the tree but it has no leaves on it at this time. But the leaves are very large and heart shaped and are fuzzy on the underside of the tree.

Sami

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Ecrane what coin is that? Not helping size wise because I don't know the coin. LOL. CA start minting their own?

From what I've seen Catalpa seeds are in a long bean looking pod and you would see broken open pods all over the place.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Sami, that sounds more like a Paulownia to me.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

The coin is a 1 Euro coin, 23mm diameter.

The mystery seed doesn't sound like Paulownia to me, that has small fluffy seeds in a pod, not a bit like a peanut.

Resin

Here are some pictures of the tree and seeds

Sami

Thumbnail by Sami

Some of the tree

Sami

Thumbnail by Sami

The picture above is where the fuzzy seeds are falling from.
Here is another pic

Sami

Thumbnail by Sami

Last Picture

Sami

Thumbnail by Sami

Did some research on the Paulownia Tree and the seeds do look like the seeds from that tree . I think you might be right Growin. Take a look at the seeds and see what you think.

Sami

The pic "Some of the tree" is certainly a Paulownia, but the seeds in the pic "Here are some pictures of the tree and seeds" are not from it, they must be from something else nearby.

Resin

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

It does look like a Paulownia and if you crack apart those round pods, the seed are inside. The Catalpa pods are like oversized greenbeens strung-up on the tree to dry.

Think I've worked out what those things are in the first pic, they're broken-off Paulownia flower buds (the flowers open in early spring).

Here's a link to a pic showing the seed pods :
http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/okwild/images/emptree3.jpg

Resin

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Think yer right there Resin. Looks more like broken off flower buds instead of the seed pods.

Resin
I can see those pods that you showed me and they look like what is still on the tree. I just assumed the things that was laying on the ground came from those pods that are in the tree.

So what you are saying is that the things I planted are flower buds. I opened up one of them ane it looks like seeds inside it. Oh well. Maybe some of the seeds will fall from the tree and start some new one.

Sami

I just wish I could actually see the seed that comes from those pods. If anyone finds an image of the seed that comes from the pod would be interested in seeing them.

Sami

The seeds inside the pods are tiny, like little bits of fluff. There's hundreds of them in each pod.

Resin

This message was edited Jan 29, 2008 9:30 PM

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Clarity to the confusion is in order here.

•Sami's picture from 1/29/08 at 12:26 is an image of dormant flower buds. Those would've opened into flowers in the spring. There are more of those dormant flower buds still attached to the tree.

•Picture from 1/29/08 at 12:29 shows both dormant flower buds AND dried/cracked seed pods in the crown of the tree. Collection of the dried/cracked seed pods will yield the fine fluffy seeds that Sami is apparently observing falling from the tree.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I believe that Paulownia is very invasive in North Carolina, I would resist the urge to grow any more. If it's not on the official noxious weed list for NC, it is on it for several states that are very nearby so it's only a matter of time before NC gets it on their list too.

Thanks for the info. Have not seen any out in my area.

Sami

There happens to be a big old Paulownia tomentosa out in front of the building I work in, and there are plenty of seed capsules down on the ground after the torrential storms last night.

Here is what Paulownia tomentosa seeds and dried capsules look like.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

You could also look at the Paulownia tomentosa entry in PlantFiles here:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/391/

There are quite a few good diagnostic photos of all the plant parts.

Verburnum could you possible send me some of those seeds for postage. I would appreciate it very much. I have no trees where I am and it would be great to have some shade.

Sami

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Sami, Paulownia is invasive in your area. There are hundreds of non-invasive trees that you could plant, I would investigate some other options if I were you. Catalpa would be one nice non-invasive option, I'm sure if you post in the trading forums or look at people trade lists someone has some Catalpa seeds.

ecrane3 I checked out the plant and seed trade and no one had the seeds. As for as it being invasive in my area I have not seen any at all where I live. I live in the dismal swamp and have not seen any at all. The tree that is here in my clients yard is the only one that I have seen here too and it does not put out any seedlings except for the one that I got last year. He has had this tree for as long as he has lived here and that is about 20 years.

Sami

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Catalpa would be the way to go. Fast grower, big leaves and makes a nice shade tree. Also a good climbing tree or so I remember as a good climbing tree. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/124187/

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sami;

I've a wild seedling that came up on my front yard last spring. I had it I.D.ed as a Southern Caltapa. Though, I'm not 100% certain that it's Caltapa until it blooms and sets seeds? It's a year old. We just recently transplanted the tree into a prominent location. Should it be a real Caltapa, and looks that big as indicated above. Looks like I've to move that baby before it's growing too big. Good luck with your search on the tree.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Sami, just because you haven't seen it in your immediate area doesn't mean it's not invasive. Pretty much all the states in your area have this on their invasive lists. The seedlings don't necessarily show up right next to the parent--they travel on the wind or with birds and probably pop up miles away where you would never know where they came from. The trouble with these is they produce millions and millions of seeds, and when those get out into wild areas or open spaces, they grow like crazy and crowd out native plants. They're not going to take over your yard because any seedlings will get mowed or pulled up, it's when the seeds get out of your yard that it becomes a problem. The Catalpa is a much better choice.

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Any catfish in that "dismal swamp"? Catalpa usually end up having plenty of fish bait. Wish I had a swamp and a catalpa. My 2-cents,
Mike

Thanks ecrane3 I will keep that in mind. I did check at the nursery today to see if they had any catawpaw trees but they didnt. I will see if I can order me some. I am just so tired of not having any trees for shade.

No excelrealty I have'nt seen any catfish but have heard they have a lot brime.

Sami

somewhere, PA

We have lovely mature catalpa's here. The blooms remind me of rhododendron
blooms.

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Up close

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

The first year we were here, there was a big storm in late fall. The
next morning the lawn had these long bean pods all embedded in
the ground slanted at the same angle. Was kinda weird looking.
And they do self seed quite a bit... a bit more than I care for quite
frankly.

Crossville, TN

Those are lovely flowers!

Do you have seeds to trade? Jo

somewhere, PA

These trees produce plenty of seeds! I'll send you a d-mail.

Tam

somewhere, PA

I have seed I collected in the fall of '05 and have stored in the refridgerator.
Anyone know if catalpa seed is short lived?

Tam

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Congrats, Roadrunner. The tree grows at rapid pace. Bird sent me one, in a location where it receive plenty of sun. It's shot up to be over 6 feet tall in one season. :-)

Crossville, TN

I'd like to try them here...thanks TAmmy for the Dmail.

Maybe you could get that bird to fly by me!! LOL Jo

Sorry I have not been here to respond to anyone. I have at the hospital for the last ten days and nights with my patient. I just got home last night and slept for 11 hour today. Wow did they feel good.. Have to go back tomorrow.

Anyway Tammy I would love to have some of those seeds. I need trees bad. I have only been here for 3 years and have trees planted but they are slow growers and I did not have not one tree here on this lot.

Sami

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.