Canna trials for 2008

Louisville, KY

I plan to send some new hybrids in for this trial and thought that many of you would be interested in watching it or possibly sending in plants to be tested. They are looking for new hybrids and forms to be tested and judged. The site explains everything. It should be interesting to watch.

http://www.clainescanna.co.uk/Trial2008/index.html

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the heads up Brian. Definitely something to watch! I see they announced today the selections that you will be providing.

Arlan

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Very gorgeous blooms over there, hope they get your pics posted, Brian. How fun! Do you know the name of this one? I thought it was Spiderman, but it didn't get very tall last year... I went to your website and there wasn't anything in the canna section... I thougth maybe I could identify it myself...

Thumbnail by AuntB
Louisville, KY

It's hard to say from that pic. It does look very similar but should look more like this pic as it matures. The edge of the leave has a purple line around it and the stems are purple to maroon. The leaves have a hint of blue coloring to them and the flowers are a very bright red. The plant usually gets 6 to 8 feet tall. The rhizomes are dark maroon and really large similar to musafolia.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh, thanks, Brian. I think it is Spiderman, if it wintered over I'll expect it to get bigger this year. Very pretty one, blooms and foliage. I'd gotten it from you last June, and I did put it in the ground, dug in fall... I hope I hope it made it.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Brian, We sent in 3 entrants. It will be fun to watch the trial. Karen

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Wow, that is so exciting. I'm thrilled for you two to have sent in Cannas. So, which ones did you send in?
Susan

Louisville, KY

Great to hear Karen. I did not read up on how they plan to rate the plants exactly. I know what they are looking for but I am sure picking between them will be very difficult.

I sent in the following plants which are all just nick named till they are released.

Canna Bird of paradise
Canna blue steel
Canna candy shadow
Canna exotic fantasy
Canna romance
Canna tropical fantasy
Canna waves

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Very nice, Brian! Congratulations, you should be proud of your hard work.
I love that Romance and Wave, gotta go with that Tennessee orange you know, lol. But they are all really pretty.

Mine are nicknames too:

Orange Ballcap
Tangerine Traveler
Pink Lemonade

Karen

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Great, how exciting! Can't wait to follow this along. Good luck to both of you!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

brian, whatever happened to the purple one you posted 2 years ago. I still remember it

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Yes, Brian, I'd love to see the purple one. Thanks for sharing the link, it will be fun to watch.. I'm "rooting" (really, no pun intended) lol, for you and Karen, too. Best Luck to you both.

I got in at the very end of the deadline just in time. Mine just got potted up last week. Now my seedlings have the honor of growing with the best cannas that can be found!

It will also be a learning experience even if I loose if the judges give information on how my plants graded so I can improve on things next year. Karen

Louisville, KY

Yes I don't think their can really be any losers in the canna trial. I did not send all conventional cannas to the trial myself. I have never been much for normal plants so I tend to breed some odd balls from time to time. Even if you think you know what your doing with breeding the best ones usually just show up out of some random cross. Good luck Karen this is the first show trial I have been in as well. So it should be interesting to see how they rate and score.

Good luck to you too Brian. You`re right there is some luck of the draw with the genetics. I think that is part of what makes it fun and it keeps you on your toes. It will be very good to know specifics of what characteristics they look for and how they go about grading. I will be watching with much interest.

Karen

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Brian, Any plans to sell a few of your Canna's thru the Dg Marketplace?
(crossing my fingers in hopes that you do)

The latest of news is up. Karen

http://www.clainescanna.co.uk/Trial2008/news.html

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Not ALL the best cannas are growing in Britain .. LOL
There are some very great ones growing right here in the USA :-)))
You will all have to guess what and where as I am not allowed to say anything more.

Alice,

I think we just sent them some good ole American cannas and cannas from all over the world have been submitted so it is true (especially with Brian`s going over there!!!). You should have sent some of yours just for fun.

Karen

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

There is good reason why I didn't, Karen.
Can't comment on that here either ... LOL

But, yes. American cannas are first rate and right here in the USA :-)

Best wishes to you and all our canna friends!!!

This message was edited Jun 29, 2008 11:21 AM

Louisville, KY

Glad to see the buzz around this canna trial. It will be interesting to see how they do grade the plants. I just grow and breed for things I personally like, I just hope others find them enjoyable as well.
I am working on a whole new canna field as we speak. I will post more as it expands.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

We were asked to send cannas to the UK without a phyto.
I can't do that.
Everyone involved knew that up front.

I am for promoting cannas in the US anyhow and has always been my focus.
All American growers should be focused to that.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Good luck with the trials you all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.