Jothropa mildew? I'm sure it's common but I'm still clueless

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I tried to treat with fungus spray.....The "stuff" still lingers. What is it and how do I get my jathropa looking like it's pal on the right?

Pictures for the doctors!

Here's the problem upclose.

Thumbnail by dangitgirl
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i don't see mildew on your Jatropha. if anything, i see what looks like scale on the trunks. sometimes Jatrophas will have a "dot" where the stems or leaves have fallen off, kind of like a scar. if it is scale, you need to spray with an oil spray and pick up the fallen leaves. i don't have much problem with mine here but when i lived farther south, i had a nasty white scale on the undersides almost constantly.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

another view

Thumbnail by dangitgirl
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

another picture...soooo boring these posts huh? LOL Just want to make sure it is scale....

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

oops no pic LOL

Thumbnail by dangitgirl
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

the left one (sickly)

Thumbnail by dangitgirl
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

the righty (a beacon of health)

Thumbnail by dangitgirl
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

the pictures are too blurry for me to be sure, but it looks like scale. since it's leafless, just spray some pam oil spray on the trunk. that should kill everything. i see that it's next to the sprinkler. they don't like all that much water so it's possible that it was declining to begin with and a sickly plant will usually get pests before the healthy one. these are prone to scale though, so watch the other one.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

We actually don't use those sprinklers at all. Thanks for that info. Sorry the pics are blurry...=s

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

oh yeah the leaves are from the giant oak tree in the front. Not from the jathropa. I don't have a picture of it but before I cut them both back the leaves were molding...at least it looked like it....

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

if the leaves were blackish, you had sooty mold, not mildew. sooty mold is the excrement of aphids, scales, mealybug, all sorts of little nasties. if you keep on top of your pests, you shouldn't have any big problems. most of these things can be killed without resorting to chemicals.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I used the pam. I've never used that before... I use alcohol spray a bit now. Someone told me about that for my Hibiscus'.

Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.