Can someone help with this Yakka??

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Hi,

I bought this in a bulk purchase but realise it is growing a new one out the bottom.

Can anyone please talk me through how to re-pot the mother plant and start a new plant with the new one starting?

Thanks Guiys,

Debi

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Debi, gosh those plants of yours are keeping you busy!
It looks like a little Agave that you have. I would try, very gently, to up-end the pot with your hand (fingers spread) around the mother plant at the base, and your finger tips over the pot edges. When you have it upside-down, Kind of throw the weight of the pot into your hand (keeping hand in place) and when you feel the soil loosen, try to push/poke the pup (sucker) back through the drainage hole. If you are successful, remove the whole shebang from the pot and shake off the old soil. Try to remove the pup from as close to the mother as possible. If it has roots you can pot it immediately, but if not, let the end dry out, in the cool shade, for a couple of days and then pot.
Good luck with that Debi.
Sue

Nowra, NSW,, Australia(Zone 9b)

I agree.

If its making pups already its sure to produce more even if that one breaks off when you un-pot it!

Bendigo, Australia

Hi Deb, yes , I agree with Sue and Alistair. we have them actually bursting the sides out of the plastic pots . the new shoot could even start off again if it gets broken off in the repotting process. just let the cut end heal then plant into dampish soil and watch it go.. I see you got quite a haul recently. Lois

Hi Lois,

Boy is that an understatement, Lois.

I do not think I would Rush into another buy like that again.

It's been/and still is a big job making them all happy.

But in the end I suppose it will be worth it............................. LoL

Your Mate,
Debi & Sheila

Hi Guys,
I have done the deed and my Yukka looks happy in it's new pot.

BUT,
I have three piece's from the mother plant and they all have roots on them.
Do you think I should plant then and see what happens??

I took a picture of these pieces for you to have a look at and to give me your opinion.

Thanks my friends, you are appreciated very much!

Debi & Sheila

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Coffs Harbour, Australia

well, why ever not Debi? Whack em in and see how you go!
Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.