Canna #2

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

We we're here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/789318/ , but now we are here. Hopefully, it will be a beautiful canna year!

Thumbnail by vadap
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Nope, not a sanna, but a calla! Last year really stunk for my cannas. It was a really weird year, as most things got off to really slow start then took off in late summer, but the damage had been done to the cannas. We had a really wet spring, then a VERY dry and windy early summer. Seems the same is shaping up this year, but I will be better prepared for it!!!
Slowly getting over this cold/flu. Almost felt normal yesterday, and almost slept through the night last night. I do thank you for your concern and well wishes. "You really do like me." LOL

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Paul, that looks likr Picasso, glad you feel better

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

HEY , lets keep this thread ON TOPIC !

lol

love calla's, they grow beautifully here, which makes me like them even more. Paul, sounds like you had a bad flu, glad you're sleeping better !

DH is already taking his nap at 10:58 in the morning, ha ha ha ha he's looking a little rough, thank goodness he had the sense to eat a burrito at 2:30 a.m. .... sometimes that can really save you.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I love callas too. I am gonna plant mine in the ground instead of a pot this year.

I can't wait til I can put my cannas out this spring. I have a bunch from work then I have some more seeds coming from a Round Robin. I may have to give some away this year. lol.

Paul, glad to see you on the mend!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

funny, I am actually trading a few cannas for seeds. They're easier for me to come by here..lol

yeah by all means people, let's stay focused..lol

I have Cleo seeds coming to me. Then the ones from work I have no idea what's in there. Will find out when they bloom. The ones I don't want I will trade away. :~)

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

My Cleo has never produced seeds. I ordered a couple more Cleopatras from Horn Canna Farm this year too. I finally got some bulbs planted today.. Amaryllias..(can't spell) .. paper whites, hyacinths daffodils and crocus. Got about 100 in the ground.. all in my center front flowerbed.. managed to drill into tiny pieces some of my canna rhyzome in the process... they had spread a little more than I expected. I use an auger on my drill to make the holes for the bulbs.. makes things go faster... Now, only about 200 more to go. fortunately, many of those are very tiny crocus bulbs I can plant with a teaspoon.

Tammie

I love paperwhites but don't grow them. Not hardy here. :~(

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Tammie, I've got to get one of those auger bits for that, the whole power tool thing has appealed to me for awhile I just keep forgetting to get one.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

That is such an awesome idea - I will definitely give that a whirl.. let the clay fly ! 100 bulbs, not too shabby - they'll look beautiful.

We got snow today, just a little bit - but enough to sled all over the neighborhood,... I'm sure we woke people up - my kids were screaming & laughing and telling me to quit throwing snowballs !!! ha ha ha

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Did you build a snowman?? Oh, take pictures,please!! It's nice, not that I should complain

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

no snowmen yet ... It's really not a ton of snow, and since it will probably melt by 11 or noon, I encouraged the sledding .

Last time we got a good amount of snow, the girls made a snow "lady" with a nice bikini & straw hat... that attracted some attention.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

lol, I'll have to try that one sometime!.....all of a sudden flooded with ideas, but....it doesn't snow enough here...lol

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

* I know me too, that's why we still love it !!!

I miss the snow we used to get here. We had fun. Now, usually a dusting with an occasional brief 3". Temp is in the 60's today. Was in the 70's yesterday but is going to be a little cooler the rest of the week.. mostly 50's and 60's.

The auger for drilling the holes is the greatest.. really easy and fast.. especially when you have good soil to work with. Now up in the mountains where I planted abouy 100 for mom, it was like drilling into cement..... and some 'helpful' critter dug up about 1/2 of them! Just left them sitting on the ground. Mom put them in a plastic bag and brought them home. I went to plant them here for her yesterday and nearly died when I saw she had put them in plastic... can you say mold?! Yuck! May have saved a few but most were gone to mush. I rinsed the still slightly firm ones in a weak bleach solution and let them dry .. will plant in a few days and hope. They were nice BIG bulbs too.

I already have a few cannas starting to peak out of the ground.. they will get fried when we get another cold snap. It is just too early .. we always get some good freezes into early March.

Tammie

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I dug some cannas for someone yesterday, I hope I didn't kill the clump cause I've never tried that in January. Our ground was pretty good and frozen after the week of cold weather

I cleaned up my tulip bed yesterday and had tulips coming up already. Totally unusual for Jan. Today I have been running around and not working outside cause the wind is horrible.

wind is in the 20's here gusting to mid 40's.. I am staying in today. Hope to get the rest of my bulbs in the ground next weekend. I found a Stuttgart canna coming up today.. stupid little thing doesn't know it will get frozen again.

Tammie

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ha ha ha - Tammie calling the canna stupid cracks me up !

I noticed some tulips coming up to join the daffodils and hyacinth... we probably broke a few with our out of control sledding.

MY DH QUIT TODAY! Yes, I'm sorry I yelled, but I am so excited for him. Of course they are going to try to get him to stay, but sometimes money is not enough.

I think he has finally chosen Intel as the offer he will accept. I can't believe we are moving, and all the work that entails, but I am excited about it.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

whoa, Red, that's going to be pretty major. You seem pretty organized though. Happy for you guys, and hope it all works out better than you expect

I don't have anything trying to come up but crocus, how can pepper be closer to spring than we are down here?

Tammie, I love stuttgarts, I hope mine came back after the drought we had but it never got more than a few inches high. I've killed a couple, hardest canna I've ever tried to grow. I guess it's been the only hard canna I've tried to grow actually

Paul is somewhere left in a fog of theraflu and estrogen, I think

Red, where is Intel at? I saw a property for ya in Wisconsin. I'll see if I can get a link to it. It's in one of my mags. I have a feeling you are going south though. lol. Congrats!!

I don't envy that move.. and all your plants you are going to want to bring with you. I can't imagine leaving my little yard with all the things I have planted over the years... but it would be fun to have another yard to work in. I don't have much luck with my Stuttgart either. It burns easily eventhough it is shaded all but a couple hours a day... noon sun.. have a sun block over the area and my water bubblers keep the area wet enough. They just manage to survive. I am hoping they spread enough to divide and I will try one in my pond.. or near it where the constant water splash will keep it very wet.

Tammie

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Naw, I'm still here. No effects of estrogen over the computer, or I'd have to give it up! LOL Yesterday was quite nice. I think they said we hit 63, BUT, it was windy and a little overcast. I actually sat out on my back patio and took a short nap when the sun was shining a bit. Major laundry day after being sick all week. Changing sheets and skivies several times a night from sweating so much(I just recycled the same dirty sheets after they dried, but about 3 sets worth). We had 3 nice days, but the ground is still frozen under the 1/2" that thawed out. Back into the 30's tomorrow, for the rest of the week. Red, congrats to hubby! Hope he enjoys the time off, and best of luck on the move. I've quit so many jobs, it isn't even funny anymore! The bi-polar express- here today, gone when I get ticked off! I think that was a really helpful thing in my sailing days, that I could leave anytime I wanted in the states w/o getting into trouble.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Tammie, I almost thought about putting one of my water tubs in the shade for it. Mine was in full shade, we did have drought bad, and yeah, it hardly grew and somehow still got scorched.

have you tried pink sunburst? I hear it's picky too. I got some in the fall and I really hope they do well

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

vadap....here today, gone when I'm ticked off....my stomach hurts from laughing...glad to hear you're feeling better

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

We have all risen from the dead, although we all have a really bad, nagging cough. Pain in the you know what! Oh well. Talking to my mortgage guy has made me happier, though! Yippee! Go see the doc tomorrow for more brain deficient drugs! Yippee! These new ones seem to have stabilized things much better. I just hope I'm not on top of some high end curve, though.

brain deficient drugs. lol. good one.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

you seem about the same, honestly, from what I can read anyway

Yep, seem the same here to me too.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

well, maybe a wee bit more comedic ? ! lol just joking, glad you are feeling better. And why were you talking to your mortgage broker?

yes, it kills me to think about the plants I'm leaving behind, particularly all the new ones I put in the fall, sigh sigh sigh. And the backyard did not have one single plant in it when we moved in, I planted each one. (and killed a few) still, I think this is our time to move if we're going to... and frankly the wet weather in Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr and June are making me think I have SAD - I seriously need more sun.

And Trop is going to give me advice on growing some gingers.

... Red.. take cuttings... of EVERYTHING! anything special, you can always send to one of us to get going again for you and then we can send back to you when you are ready for it in your new yard.

Tropicanna... I have tried to get some pink sunburst.. one did not make it through its first winter.. it was really small to begin with and was planted late in the season to begin with. Last year, I had someone who found some packaged ones send them to me but when they grew, they wre not pink sunburst. I am still looking for some. If anyone comes across some... remember me.

Tammie

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I will look around here Tammie, I want to try them as well. Al's Garden Center should have them soon, and I did just get a $21 gift card from them because of my "Garden Points" , depends on how much you spend during the year.... so that is burning a hole in my pocket.

I'm so not an expert on the cuttings, but you are right, I need to take some time and decide what I just can't leave behind. This will be the third year for a bunch of my clematis, too - they are going to be awesome.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Tammie, that's exactly what I did, bought them late in the season...uh-oh, if I kill them I'll cry. They are hard to find and expensive, too. better not die on me.

Red, here's what I'd do...lol...dig the crinums and any other expensive bulbs first, bareroot them, and ship them to your new place. Then you won't have so many pots to take with you or stuff to plant with relatives. Gosh, that really is hard to picture...it would take me ages. Before I really even got into gardeneing I know we had 2-3 loads of mostly plants when we moved.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Sounds like a task, but a good idea(the bareroot/shipping thing). Sure would save plenty of dough, and get to bring a bit of the old place with you. Fortunately for me, this whole house and yard has been an experiment and leraning experience from the start. And that is the way I expected it to be,and to leave most everything I've put in to stay. At least it is boosting the value.
Red, I'm one of those in the news with the upticking ARM, but now that the Fed is slashing the interest rates, and my credit allows now, I'm getting into a new loan. Saving me 2 months of payments(up front, and with winter here, the timing is perfect) and looking to save abt $300/mo on new loan. If you guys go w/Intel, is that in San Jose area? Don't they still get overflow of rain and fog from Frisco? Only been there once (except for pulling into Richmond oil docks), and kinda liked it, kinda hated it.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

arg, posted earlier and it disappeared !

Intel is in Santa Clara, sunny & dry most of the time. I'll be praying for rain, altho I can't imagine that now. Gardening will be a new experience with all the dry (and alot of gophers apparently ! * )

Good for you on your new loan - that will save you some dough.

** I'm definitely taking those crinums, Trop ! I'll wait for the early bloomers to have their day, then pull them up after they are done .... that way I can see what I really want... which will be alot after those orders I placed with Brent & Beckys bulbs this last year.

Red, in drier areas look into more native plants. They usually thrive when nothing else will. But still have spots for your favorite plants from your current place. :~)

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

ooooh, Red, you get to grow agaves and yuccas and bulbines and all kinds of cool S. American and African goodies.....I think? I might have to look up rainfall there

vadap, you were saying your yard was an experiment, have you guys ever checked out the winter sowing forum? Now that is some cool stuff. The daughter and I planted a bunch of seeds I pulled off my plants, and some I've just ended up with. Not sure if anything will come out of it, but if it does...I might have found the best way for me to grow seeds. It's so easy

Easy for you!! LOL. My yard isn't fond of seeds. Never has been. Only in the last few years has it become fond of something other than irises and daylilies. Took forever even for coneflowers to grow.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Instead of sowing them in the ground, you make little 'greenhouses' with empty plastic containers...then leave them outside for the weather to harden them off. check out the winter sowing forum, really, lots of people are doing it where you are.

I haven't had much luck with seeds either pepper, so I figure it's worth a shot. These are the ones me and my girl started

Thumbnail by Tropicanna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.