What are the brown lumps on my cycads

Brisbane, Australia

Does anyone know what the brown lumps under my cycad leaves are? The leaves are also losing their colour. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by reecee
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Reecee, I believe you may have brown scale on your cycad. Try a bit of horticultural or white oil (available at garden centres and some supermarkets) sprayed under the leaves and directly on to the critters.
Brown scale suck the sap, causing the yellowing of the leaves. The oil smothers the little suckers and eventually you will be rid of them. They are quite common on Cycads
http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Articles/pests.html This has a little bit of info and has suggestions for a chemical approach, but my experience with white oil has been positive and much healthier for other beasties in your garden.
Good luck
Sue

Brisbane, Australia

Hi Sue
Thanks heaps, I'll give it a go. I don't want to lose my cycads they are just starting to get some size about them.
Being a bit of a novice I find this site great and I enjoy reading the Aussie forum chit chat, you and Chrissy give me an idea of what's going on down south.
Regards
Maree

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Feel free to drop in on any of the threads in the forums. Nobody minds and it's always nice to get someone elses view. There is lots to learn here, I learn something new every day!
What area of Brisbania are you in? I'm going to plan a trip soon to check out all the bromeliad nurseries you have up your way. I have a friend in Rochedale that I stay with and we check out the markets at the Sleeman sports centre. Usually come home with many treasures!
Again, good luck with your cycads and keep us posted how it works out.
Sue

Brisbane, Australia

I am from the other side of town, Everton Park and I didn't even know there were markets at the Sleeman sports centre, how often do they have them? I might have to check them out myself one day. I am keeping a close eye on my cycads and will let you know how they go.
I am going to check out the Aussie forum now to see what has been going on.
Maree

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Maree, I'm not sure how often the Markets are on, but its a sunday and it has good food and coffee, nice plants, lots of bric a brac, (some good) heaps of "made in China" but LOTS of really good cheap plants! Next time i go, I'm taking the trailer! LOL
Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.