Butterfly vine

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I had to dig up my butterfly vine, and have cuttings for anyone who picks them up (Phoenix metro area). This vine is stigmaphyllon ciliatum and has seed pods shaped like butterflies.

Thumbnail by allgr8dogs
San Antonio, TX

can you send some out for SASBE?

Victoria BC, Canada(Zone 9a)

What a pretty vine.
I can't get there for cuttings but wonder if you had any seed.

Bea

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi,
there were seeds along with the cuttings, but I don't have any left. I don't expect to get any blossoms or seeds this summer with having severely pruned and moved the plant this winter.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

How do you get seed pods on yours like that? Mine blooms and blooms and never gets those beautiful seed pods, it's so depressing.

I want those big beautiful butterfly seed pods LOL

Mine is growing in a pot with a 5 foot tomato cage over the pot and it's full from top to bottom . any clues?

Edinburg, TX

Kathy,

I have one of those growing too...and I neglect to water it since it's in a far corner of the yard. It blooms profusely and puts out those lovely shaped seeds. Green butterflies when they are newly formed and then they turn a lovely brown when they dry out :o)

I'd say plant it in the ground if you can. These love to stretch out their long tendrils.

~ Cat

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Kathy,
this is the first time my vine has had butterflies so profusely. We had a hard frost that killed back a competing snail vine, so possibly that had something to do with it. The vine was on a sprinkler system, although it appeared to be more drought tolerant than the snailvine. It got morning and mid-day sun, then afternoon shade. This crop of butterflies never turned brown, so I don't know if the seeds are viable. I always had lots of blossoms, and usually and handful of butterflies. I can 't really pinpoint what was different this summer and fall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.