Mystery Amaryllis?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

This is from National Gardening Assoc. Its supposed to be Chianti, which is a salmon colored double. Obviously it is a single. I'm guessing Minerva or Piquant. My only problem with that ID, is the all the red deep in the throat. The scape is 16" high, and the flowers, which are just starting to open, look as if they will be about 6 inches in diameter. Any thoughts on this ID? 2 out of the two bulbs I got from them were mislabeled. That's 100% in my book.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2008 3:15 PM

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

A photo of the buds, and the back of the bloom.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Ewing, VA

Hi bsharf! I would rule out Minerva. Minerva does not have that red marking in the eye. Minerva also does not have that prominent white stripe in the lower petals. Minerva's white markings in the lower petals kinda fuse with the red/orange.

Piquant...I really don't know. I even haven't seen Piquant in person, just from pics in the web. I did bought 2 Piquants from HD and both turned out Gilmar. :-( I did get one from Wayside and hopefully see the real Piquant soon. :-)

By the way bsharf, that mislabeled pink/salmon double that we got, mine is still blooming on it's third scape. Amazing! I wish it had a name. I was going through Star Okenga's book and saw "Rosy Frills" which is soooo similar to our mislabeled double. I have been trying to look for more info on this variety but could not find any though. I just refuse to believe that what we got is a Lady Jane. It IS different from LJ. I will label it Rosy Frills for now...hehehe. I have a mislabeled Double Queen that turned out like a double Exotica and labeled it "Peaches &Cream"!!! I'll post a pic of it after your mystery amaryllis is ID-ed.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Well that makes sense. If you can't ID an Amaryllis, you get to name it yourself. I just took a look at the photo of Rosy Frills. I've never heard of it before, but it does look alot like the mystery double.

Weslaco, TX(Zone 9b)

Could it be a Candy Stripe? My neighbor has a bunch of these & that's what he calls them. Good luck!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is the 'Minerva' that I bought. Perhaps it is not? Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.