Farmer vs Gardener fertilizing

south central, PA(Zone 6b)

How do you all handle fertilizing? If you're a farmer, you can just do a soil test and fertilize the whole field the same (?). But a gardener, planting row crops - seems more complicated. I do a rotation of eight plots - brassicas, peas and beans, 2 fallow, corn, cucurbits, nightshade, and mixed. Especially in the mixed plot the vegetables require different nutrient levels. It's too expensive to test every plot or row or half-row! What's the best idea ya think? Over the years I have just done random testing and fertilizer is kind of random too. I get OK results I guess, but I dream of optimizing...

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I use compost on my veggie/flower garden. I haven't used commercial fertilizer in years, other than an occasionally bag of Osmocote for my hybrid tea roses. Good balanced compost will take care of all all the plants needs. You side dress heavy feeders during the season in addition. Not a big deal. A initial soil test is always best, it allow you to adjust amendments as necessary.

That's great doccat - I'm working up to that - my compost heap, beloved though it is, is not yet sufficient. But that gives me a good idea I hadn't thought of - I should build a heap big enough to yeild the amount of compost I need... but we have 4 acres of native trees and shrubs and a 3200 sq ft garden plus a flower bed plus a asparagus and strawberry bed. So... MMMmmm I think I'm in trouble...

MMM, I think you live close enough I can enable you.......LOL Check my have list and see if there are any veggie seed you might be interested in. I don't have much as I'm starting all over again, but I'll be happy to share. :)

I checked your lists, but sorry, I have ton of seed due to my often over-buying - geeze - nobody here does that ha ha. I enjoyed your articles on raised beds, potatoes, and broccoli.

I have taken some extension courses too - mostly in native species which I'm really into. They were great and the people were so well informed and nice too. It was a wonderful experience, but I have health problems now so I don't think I can do the Master Gardener thing.

The one thing I learned that was a shocker - we have no native worms!!! Earthworms are an invasive species - good for the gardener and for composting, but they are depleted the rich topsoil in our forests. One of those sadder but wiser deals...

I read that thread and have reservations about the validity. After all I'm one of those Master Gardener worm huggers. LOL

What thread? I read no thread. Anyway, yes, they're great for gardens and compost, but they are too voracious for natural areas like forest floors. I learned this from master gardeners and teahers from Penn State. Here's some articles/studies about it:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/01/0102_030102_earthworms.html

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/terrestrialanimals/earthworms/index.html

http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/essays/2004su_worms.html

http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/29278

The only part I'm not realy clear about is our native worms - evidently we have some (very few) - most in the south where they escaped being wiped out by the last glacier.

Oh, go ahead, hug your worms! ha ha - just don't spread 'em ! : )

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

CompostR,
Check out this link you may have to read through alot of stuff to get to it, it's near the bottom. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/800670/

How many years do you think it took her to get that garden looking like that?

Thanks Dean - Whew! thanks for telling me it was near the end - even so I read most of it. After reading, I'm Pretty much too tired to post. Interesting thread - I have to say I agree with maypop, Equilibrium, and gloria125. It's just a matter of science. I mean 30 or 40 years ago, organic gardening was considered a far out pipe dream.

doccat - your post popped up while I was writing the above. you mean soulgardenlove's garden? I don't know - quite a while or maybe she's one of those high energy persons, unlike yours truley ...

This message was edited Jan 28, 2008 8:29 PM

This message was edited Jan 28, 2008 8:30 PM

25 years ago you were considered a major nut burger for using organic gardening methods. LOL

Yep - now we're crazy worm people. ; > ()

I just go with my own "flow" I do find it amusing though, the people who thought we were out there are now calling asking gardening advice, cause they know we only do organic...........LOL

Nashville, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi CompostR
If you're growing organically, the best soil test is how your plants are doing. The target is healthy plants with little disease and few pests. I have seen on our organic farm how veggies grown on improved beds just don't get pests and diseases like our poorer soils. Nutrient imbalance expresses itself in plants just like in humans: illness. If you see areas of your garden that don't seem to have healthy plants, just add compost, it is the "Echinacea" for the soil. If you make well balanced compost, you will make well balanced soil. Our inspector is always harassing us to get soil tests done. "Why? " I ask him, "SO you know what's going on", is his reply. Well, I know what's going on, I can see the results. Keep up your work, and keep composting, and let your plants guide you. They are the best indicators for soil health.

Amen, brambledad, you are preaching to the choir here! LOL

Nashville, IN(Zone 5b)

My mamma always said I seemed a man of the cloth...guess green is my color? (hehe)

Same here, we did do a soil test this year and I'm waiting for results. This is the first time in many years I have the time to do another "big" garden. But have used nothing but organic methods for 25 years + so doubt the lab will have any surprises for me. LOL I am trying this Bokashi method. It looks like it might be a great additional supplement to the health of the soil. Especially on one side of the property, the old owner had a "thing" for Scott's turf builder and I didn't appreciate it. It was too close to my ground, so that might could use some additional boost over there. The tea of this stuff should be righteous!

Thanks, bramble! I get impatient and want a "guarantee" that all will grow well. But, no, I do believe you and doccat have the right idea about compost. And so far, my soil tests have shown good fertility - but, I'm not sure I'm getting an accurate pH reading.

I don't have nearly enough compost. Have been using a lot of dried blood - everything seems to like this, but it's not for vegetarians I guess - ew, especially after that awful "downed cow" video recently in the news : (
I'm thinking of buying in composted manure this year too.

doccat - hey, I am just too lazy (and cheap) to try Bokashi : ) You are brave. My grandmother used to ferment cabbage in her basement and it was not for the faint-of- heart!

Honey, some people call that sauerkraut. LOL. Not living the wild life here, just makes very good sense to me to add additional beneficial microbes to the soil. I have good soil, I know that, lord knows we've been doing the organic thing long enough. But I want to make it super soil! And extras microbes will help that happen.

SUPER SOIL!!! LOL!

Sigh... just think, at one time a lot of the earth's land was covered with super soil...

I'm getting a vision of one caveman saying to the other "It's your turn to put the dinosaur poop in the compost bin!" LOL

"it takes a whole village" to scoop it !

ROFLMAO!! Toooooo true!!!

Danville, IN

I think this might be the right thread to ask this question, or would one of you direct me to it if it isn't, please? I want to begin fertilizing my potted indoor plants organically. I use a soil-less mix for potting (organic in itself), but have relied on commercial fertilizers so far. What should I use to organically fertilize them? I don't think compost would be the best and was thinking fish emulsion, cottonseed meal, dried blood, etc. but would love to hear what successes others have had maintaining potted plant health.

HoosierGreen, I use Hast Gro, and sea weed.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Whoopee! I get to say something I do and have done for over forty years with our indoor plants.

Here is the big secret..........Start with compost tea. Then in some kind of a cycle use anyother kind of tea you know how to make. You just named a couple. My monthly tea support a rotation of the following.....Compost tea early spring and late fall. Other monthy applications.....kelp, fish, worm cast, bat guana. I use only one of these a month not all. I do not include blood because it is expensive and may contain to much nitrogen. Alfalfa meal is nearly as good as blood and has more other good minor quality components including a mild growth hormone. You can make alfalfa meal in a blender. Just whoop on it and toss it on a piece of cloth screen to drain and dry. Crumble it by hand. Store and use as you wish.
Yucca leaves are good for the same reason and can be handled the same way.
Comfrey and many other herbs have their supporters. The good stuff you can make almost free is endless.

That's it. My whole load. I have never used a manufactured chemical on my indoor or indoor/outdoor plants. I may have inherited a little when I have bought a new nursery or greenhouse plant. Otherwise....NONE!!!! EVER!!!!

Alright doc, where did you find the yuccas in PA? Have you been naughty? LOL I looking at these lovely baskets of Daves and people are using yucca leaves. sigh Poor Virginia, no yuccas, no palms, so sad. All those lousy Bradford pears........yuck!

I have yucca growing on the South side. Lots of yucca Most likely the seed pods are still loaded. Want some? Never thought of that for our seed swap. All of mine are self seeded from where the seed head hit down in the early winter. Apparently this is one thing that will grow here while zone information suggests it will not. I do not see much if any growing out in our community. Maybe they read to many seed catalog texts. ]:o)

PS.............As far as I know the white tailed deer do not like yucca either! To CMA I suspect I should say to this point I am unaware of any deer damage on yucca.

Two or three borrowed leaves in the vegi-matic (a yard sale capture) makes enough yucca meal for in house feedings over the whole winter used on a once in awhile basis.

Danville, IN

Great advice! Thanks so much for the info. One question though regarding chopping/grinding up yucca leaves (grows here in Indiana just fine), alfalfa, and others mentioned: Do I use them fresh or dried?

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

OK maybe I'm reading too fast or can't process the information but doc elaborate just a bit on the yucca, I have an abundant supply and had no idea there was a use besides keeping the neighbors kids out of certain parts of my yard(VERY effective there), and just had an idea of a deer fence around my veggies made of yucca

I'd love to sneak some in, doc. In NE, farmers pull em up, burn em, their a weed. LOL

Requested elaboration on yucca........I do it with leaves when they are fully grown but not yet hardened off.....if that makes any sense. I chop or otherwise cut it into small pieces for the grinding into a heavy thick milk shake like slurry. Depending on the weather it will dry in the shade in a few days to a week.
.....If you really want to know the values there-in Google it up and enjoy the trip. Some organic sales outlets have it for sale.

Alfalfa meal can be chopped and done up either green or dried. Used as a mulch you get the same benefits in the garden or in the compost mix. In the latter case you then get the benefits either as compost or compost tea.

I don't think there is a fencing possiblity there that would keep deer out. I do know that if you back into it accidently it can be a disasster.

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

thanks for the first part of that info..... you were a little late with that last part... those suckers hurt for a long time

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.